Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Lump on foot - any ideas?

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Lump on foot - any ideas?

I have a question. I have a lump that seems attached to the bone on the top of my foot. (From the diagram I looked up it seems to be on the 2nd cuneiform) it does not move and by that I mean it feels like it is anchored to the bone, it has gotton bigger over the last few days. (No injuries, no trauma).The lump does not hurt but my foot aches and it travels up to my ankle and almost up to my hip.I couldnt sleep last night because of the dull ache and cramps.
I have tried to make an appointment with my Dr. However I cant get in utill Febuary. Should I be concerned that I will not be able to have it looked at untill Feb?

Thank you for your thoughts

it's probably a bone spur.  waiting is not a problem. get an xray and see if that's the case.  the tedons that course the top of your foot may be irritated from the spur and be causing the ache you are experiencing.
Hi Wondering,
That is a very common area to have a bone spur (exostosis). Typically these are genetic or from some type of traumatic event, doesn't have to be major trauma, even tight shoes can cause this.
Conservatively you may try wearing shoes that are wide and do not put pressure on the area. If you wear shoes w/laces, relace the shoe so the laces go straight up the sides and do not criss cross over this area. You may want to buy some large felt pads w/a hole in them, put the hole directly over the painful area to offload this and reduce pressure.
Ultimately, if nothing conservatively helps, you may need this surgically removed.
If the lump feels softer than bone,it may be a soft tissue tumor, typically benign like a lipoma or ganglion. Recommended treatment would be same as above.

Try to see a podiatrist in a timely fashion if possible.
Hope this helps.
Bryant Tarr D.P.M.
www.sudburypodiatry.com
www.westfordpodiatry.com