Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
My right foot is having some numbness/swelling/turning dark red?

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

First let me say, I do have an anxiety disorder and oh last night put the icing on the cake.  I had to take my mom to the ER, she has really bad back problems, anyway, while the doctors were fixin her up, my right foot started going numb. I ignored it and thought it was just how I was sitting. When it wouldn't go away I took my shoe off to massage it, try and get some feeling back in it.  That's when I noticed that my foot was swollen, dark red and my toenail beds were purple. I took my other shoe off and my left foot was completely fine.  I decided to admit myself.

Needless to say the Doc doesn't think it's a blood clot, he also doesn't think it's circulation. He thinks I strained my foot at work (I wear heels every night). I started to put 2 and 2 together, I usually have Dr Scholls foot inserts in my heels, but my right one fell out, so I've only been using the left. Saturday night I couldn't wear my heels at work b/c the bottom of my right foot hurt so bad, even in flats it'd off and on hurt for a minute, I'd have to walk on the side of my foot, then it went away.
And as soon as I elevated my foot, it went back to regular size, turned back to it's regular color and was okay again.  I have yet to have the symptoms as bad as last night, but I've kept my foot elevated for the most part all day
I mean I'm 21, not over weight, I smoke a pack of cigs a day since I was about 15 or so, I don't really drink, my eating habits are horrible, but still I'm pretty young!

I just can't imagine this is a sprain/strain, it doesn't hurt!! Every morning when I wake up, my first steps, my toes are numb. It feels like a pinched nerve from heels. Sometimes when I'm laying down I feel the front (toes and the front pads of my feet). Thats where the pain is when I have it. What could be causing this??
you could be experiencing metatarsalgia, which is pain at the ball of your foot.  excessive high heel usage can initiate the pain and worsen with increase standing..even in flat shoes.
circulation problems can cause the feet to turn purple.  nicotine from smoking can damage arteries in your feet.  buerger's disease is an example of small arterial disease which can cause the foot/toes to turn purple.  i suggest getting a podiatric exam.
in the meantime, i suggest staying out of heels for several weeks (if you can) and see if the pain gets better.