Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Painful plantar callous

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Painful plantar callous

I am 74 year-old, female, who has plantar callous in both feet. There are very painful. What do you suggest I should do? When I wear snickers I get some relieve.
I would go to a podiatrist to have them shaved.  Then, file them weekly with a pumice stone or nail file to keep them under control.  Apply petroleum jelly and don socks b/f going to bed to keep them smooth.
I know this sounds crazy, but it really works.  My daughter had a corn on her big toe that rubbed on her shoes all the time and a lady of Indian descent told me to put a lemon peel on it to soften it.  I tried it and was amazed at how well it works.  Take a lemon and peel a small slice (leaving the white part on the inside of the peel intact) place it white side to the callous and secure it in place overnight (gauze wrap or an ace wrap will do).  In the morning it will be much softer.  Do this for a few days or until it is gone (shouldn't take but a few days).  It won't hurt to try.  Best wishes.
I forgot to explain to you about my feet problems:

The callouses (?) are located on the 2nd and 4th metatarsal/falanges.

I have seen a Podiatrist who shave them every 2 months.

Please let me hear from you.

Thank you.

Maria

As Yena has stated above visiting a podiatrist to get your initial treatment would be a wise move as callous formation is a protective mechanism of the body in responce to alterations in biomechanics. As such your gait may slightly differ from the norm and hence increased callous formation, this may be correctable. I have found that urea based creams work the best in conjunction with self treatment of callous. It is also possible to ask the podiatrist about deflective padding to help off-load the areas of high pressure and thus reduce the progress of callous formation.

Regards

Dr Foot
I would ask your podiatrist if he/she can place a metatarsal pad on to your shoe to offload the prominent metatarsals.  Sometimes, we lose fat pad to the bottom of the foot and the metatarsals rub the skin when walking, causing callusing build up.  Also, if we walk with certain bones in the foot hitting the ground harder than others, we start to build callus from the increased pressure.
Dear doctor,

Thank you so much for your information.