Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Peroneal tendonopathy clicking and pain

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Peroneal tendonopathy clicking and pain

I have acute peroneal tendonitis following an inversion sprain 12 days ago. My foot feels alright in the mornings, just a little stiff (after being rested all night) but is very painful towards the end of the day, particularly if I've walked a lot that day.

Since yesterday I have been getting a clicking/popping sensation (and a stabbing pain) with each step I take around the area of the base of the 5th metatarsal.  It seemed to have gone again this morning, but is now returning this evening.

1. What could be the cause of the clicking sensation?

2. Is it possible to get an avulsion fracture of the 5th metatarsal over time with peroneal tendonitis?

3. Should I be using crutches or is weight bearing a better way to heal this type of injury?  Towards the end of the day my pain level is around an 8 or 9 when walking.
   My podiatrist told me that it was ok to walk but no running, however I would like a second perspective.

Thanks.
you should get phsycial therapy to rehab the tendon.  the clicking could be the tendon rolling off teh ankle bone.  if this is the case, you will need a surgical procedure to hollow out the bone to allow the tendon to sit in and not pop out.  oftentimes, this popping occurs from the swelling and usually subsides.