Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Plantar Fasciitis has led to another problem?

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

I have suffered on and off with Plantar Fasciitis over the years. In February, it suddenly came on during a soccer game, but only in my right foot.  It got so bad I was dreading walking to the kitchen.  I had pain throughout the day, and it was, by far, the worst case I have ever had.  Needless to say, I was walking on the outside of my foot to avoid the pain.  This only caused more issues.  The outside of my foot began grinding/cracking when walking.  Also, I have pain on the outside of my heel, between my calcaneus and the base of my 5th metatarsal.  It's more towards the bottom of my foot, but right along that edge where my foot meets the floor.  The pain does not go up into my ankle.  When turn my foot in circles, I still get lots of popping & grinding.  About a week after the grinding began, I finally went to the doctor.

I completed 6 weeks of physical therapy.  The standard plantar faciitis symptoms are all but gone.  However, the pain I described on the outside has not improved.  It actually feels very similar to plantar faciitis...but it's on the outside of my heel.  I even have problems when standing after sitting for a period of time.

Any ideas?  Getting things taken care of in the military healthcare system can be a royal pain.  I always have much more success if I educate myself first and then ask my doctor to evaluate me for what I think it is.  Thank you for any advice!

P.S.  If it is at all relevant, three years ago, I had bilateral fasciiotomy's in my lower legs for chronic exertional compartment syndrome.  (All 4 compartments in both legs.)  Surgery improved things immensely, but I still occasionally have problems in my right leg- the same leg as my injured foot.  A good part of the top of my foot is numb because of the surgery.  I have also had problems with posterior tibial tendinitis in that leg.
you may have a cuboid hairline fracture. i would recommend getting an xray and a ct scan or MRI.
It sounds like you might have a Heel Spur . . .very painful, especially first thing in the morning and after sitting for long periods. Rolling an ice bottle and plantar facisitis exercises helped me minimally.  When I can, I use a chair with rollers in the house to give my feet a break, and noticed this temporarily improves the pain level.