Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Plantar Fibromatosis

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Plantar Fibromatosis

I was diagnosed yesterday with Plantar Fibromatosis.  Both feet are affected, although the right is worse than the left.  I was told that surgery is the only cure but that it is an abosolute last resort.  I was told that I should deal with it until it is severely affecting my life (unable to handle pain or unable to walk).  

Is there anything that can help?  I read in one place that stretching helps, and someplace else it said that is the worst thing you can do.

Also - is the surgery really that severe that it should only be done when the condition becomes severely life altering?  
orthotics with depression at the fibroma sites can help offload the prominent tissue.
otherwise, surgery can help.  
surgery is not life altering if performed correctly.
all of the fibroma tissue has to be removed or it will regrow.  also, you would have to be off your foot for 2 1/2 weeks to allow skin recovery.  i recommend having one foot done at a time.
1 Comment
A related discussion, alternative therapies for plantar fibromatosis was started.