Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Plantar plate tear - questions

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Plantar plate tear - questions

Hi - About 6 weeks ago, I fell down stairs in socks and jammed my toe into the concrete landing.  After 3 x-rays a bone scan and MRI to rule out suspected sesamoid fracture, the diagnosis is a plantar plate tear distal to the sesamoid bones.

I have been told by my ortho surgeon that there's no sense in surgery as the surgery would probably cause more damage than I already have.  I have not yet been able to get into my podiatrist, but am wanting to know what questions I should ask.

I've been told this can take 6 weeks to 6 months for healing. This seems incredibly long to me... :(
Also that ultrasound and electrostim and PT are not going to be helpful at all..  Has this been your experience?

I am extremely down about this injury as running is a hobby and passion of mine, and I now have not been running for 38 days with no end in sight.  Any positive outlook you can share?

Thanks!
Bummed out runner in VA
i would get a second opinion from a podiatrist who is proficient in surgery.
a plantar plate rupture calls for surgical repair.  this procedure doesn't take long and will allow the plate to heal without scarring.  this usually takes 6 to 8 weeks to heal.  patients usually can enter into a physical therapy program for several weeks and can start to run within 1 month.  
if you don't repair this, you may have flexor tendon subluxation which would require additional surgery.  i am attaching an article that covers this injury.
http://www.podiatrytoday.com/article/5665
good luck!
Thank you so much for the link and your assistance!

I have an appt on Wednesday with a podiatrist that specializes in sports medicine and is an asst. professor of surgery at GW medical center.

I'm still perplexed why the orthopedic surgeon was so dismissive of any surgery.  Does rupture and tear of the plantar plate mean the same thing? I guess I was hoping "tear' meant it was minimal and that's why he made that decision (oh the questions I come up with AFTER I've left!).  Also, most plantar plate repair info I can find usually references the 2nd MPJ, and mine is the 1st. I don't know if that played into the decision at all.

Thanks!