Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Post Partial Nail Removal
About This Forum:

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Post Partial Nail Removal

In early October 2008 my 10 year daughter picked her big toenail causing an ingrown toenail.  It became red, swollen, and infected. We began soaking it twice a day in epsom salt and after a couple weeks she went to see her pediatrician (I was out of town and could not get her there sooner).  Her doctor put her on bactrim (adult strength) twice a day because it looked so bad.  After another two weeks, we followed up and he put her on Augmentin (400 mg/2x day) for 10 days and referred her to a podiatrist four days later.  The podiatrist removed the portion of the nail that was causing her problems and used phenol to stop further outward growth of the nail.  Tomorrow will be seven days since this procedure.  We have soaked it twice a day and had antiseptic cream and bandaids on it since about the second day post surgery.  However, it is still red, but no swelling, no warmth, no pus, no red streaks.  She complains that it is still sore in some areas that I press though.  She has a follow up appt. in 1 week.  Should I be concerned that it is still red or is this normal?  What is the normal healing rate and how long should it remain red?  The skin on the side where the nail was removed appears to be growing over "normally".
Tags: post