Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Severe foot and ankle Pain

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Severe foot and ankle Pain

am in my 30's and overall pretty healthy and have been experiencing EXTREME foot pain on and off for about five years. I went to a podiatrist a year ago and he just said I needed his custom orthotics for 700 dollars and the pain will go away. Well it didn't even come close to going way. Normally I will get a flare up every week to every couple of weeks that will last from 3-14 days if I take 800 mg. Ibuprofen every 4 hours. It's like a bump that forms on any joint in the foot or ankle and it usually gets very red and hot with white dots that start to appear. The pain is easy to describe- it is an intense pain that feels like if you stuck it with a needle it would explode! Sometimes when I'm on the computer and I cross my ankles too long the next day my ankle will usually get attacked maybe from the heat? I have had slightly higher uric acid #'s in the past however my last test was normal including CBC. Doctors always give me colchicine, prednisone, and indocin and tell me it should go away shortly. In the past one doctor said he almost thinks it's not gout because the medication should work within a couple days. The weird thing is that sometimes the pain will be unbearable and I have to lay in bed for 5 days then all of a sudden my foot feels incredibly good like nothing even happened. It's like an on and off switch- PAIN!!!-NO PAIN!!! I got an XRAY a while back and there are no broken bone at all. When I got there he laughed, and said looks like your in pain... He didn't know what to say either. He told me to take celebrex and to call him if my stomach starts to bleed. Can gout be so aggressive like this hitting different joints in the feet and ankles constantly? I tried the cherry extract and cranberry juice in the past for months with no relief? Also, I stay away for foods that create uric acid and I don't drink alcohol anymore. Does anyone have anything similar or have any advice where to go next?
i would have the joint aspirated to test for gout.  that would give you a definitive answer.  it does sound like that is what you have.  also, there is a joint disease that can mimic gout called pseudogout.  this can cause the same problems.  if gout is severe, colchicine may not work.  you may need steroid injections or oral steroids.  i would go see an endocrinologist or rheumotologist to get a second opinion.  stay away from alcohol, sea food, and organ meat.  gout can flare up after trauma or heavy drinking or consumption of food high inn purines.
i would suggest also getting some blood work to rule out other arthropathies.