Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Sudden onset of pain top of foot/front of ankle

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Two weeks ago, I developed sudden soreness in the top of my left foot and less frequently in the front of my left ankle.  The top of my foot is tender to the touch and sore just behind the toe joints on the tendons.. You can even feel some knotting/bumps on the tendon that runs to the toe next to the big toe.  I didn't do anything that I know of to cause this.. It developed over the period of a day.

I went to my GP the following Tuesday which was about 3 days after the onset of the pain, and he diagnosed it as tendonitis, prescribed heat soaks and 4x200mg ibuprofen 3x a day.  This didn't help at all after 3 days, so I called back and was prescribed a 6 day methylprednisoline pack, which I have finished and it has not helped at all either.  The pain is worse and more frequent now.  I am having to walk on the side of my foot and limp, which is also causing more pain due to the way I'm keeping my foot angled.  I am also starting to develop pain in the bottom of my foot behind the toe joints.

I called last Friday to request an appt with a specialist but due to the holiday they were closed, and their message also states that referrals take 72 hours to happen.  I'm sure it will eventually but this is getting to be a real problem as I've already missed out on a few activities that I had planned (football game, etc) because I just can't be on my feet that long..  

Is this tendonitis or something else?  Both things the dr has prescribed haven't worked and I really don't want another week of being in pain and trying something else that might not work.

I'm a 29 year old male in otherwise good health, no diseases, not diabetic, 6'1 200 lbs, average build.

Thanks for any help.
it sounds like tendonitis.  an MRI should be ordered to evaluate the soft tissue.
a removable cast can be worn to help offload the foot and rest the tendons.
I also forgot to add that during the dr visit, X-rays were taken both from the top and side of the foot, and the doctor showed them to me and said there were no fractures of any kind, and that all the bones looked perfectly healthy.

The pain is most severe when taking a stop forward.  On the motion during normal walking where the heel is being lifted, the pain in my foot is excruciating and that motion can't be continued, so this is why I must walk on the side of my foot.. it can't be flexed like that.
stop = step
Thank you Doctor.
Follow-up.  It was diagnosed today as a stress fracture and confirmed by x-ray.  The podiatrist said that stress fractures don't always show up right away.  I'm in a boot for a month.