Toe nail melanoma?
Back in November when I was removing my toe nail polish I noticed that my big toe nail had a small pink spot under it. I thought nothing of it.  Well my foot has been bothering me and as I was rubbing it I noticed that the spot under my big toe nail has grown.  It is about 1/2 the size of a nickel.  It looks like a bruise, however I did not hurt my toe.  My family says I should ignore it, that it is just a bruise.  My mind is thinking terrible thoughts, like I have melanoma and it spread to my foot and that is why my foot has been hurting for 2 weeks.  I have a physical next week, but I am afraid if I tell my doctor, she will just think I am over reacting like my family thinks.  Would a family doctor even know about toe nail melanoma?
some family doctors may not recognize a melanoma.  as a matter of fact, most doctors wouldn't.  the only sure way to find out is to get a nail bed biopsy and include the nail, nail root, and nail bed of the lesion in question.