Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Toe pain and bump

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Toe pain and bump

I have a painful bump on my left big toe, located at the bottom corner of the nail (the the skin running along the bottom side of the nail bed is swollen also, but mostly it is the largest on the bottom right side of the nail).  The nail has not grown for at least three and a half months (I happened to have a pedicure at that time, and have since had to trim all my other toe nails but this one isn't growing longer at all.)  I was prescribed oral antibiotics and applying neosporin w/a band aid and soaking which did not help and now I'm usig anti-fungal cream and wearing open toed shoes as much as possible.  
While it does feel better to wear open toed shoes - it is not making it any better (just doesn't irritate it in the moment) and I need to wear tennis shoes for exercise etc...   At times it doesn't hurt at all (without shoes) and sometimes it hurts for no apparent reason (without shoes).  Wearing closed toed shoes for anything irritates it more.  The nail is not ingrown, and it doesn't look like hammertoes or warts.  Any ideas of what it could be?
you have an abcess (abscess)/infection to the corner.  it could have been a cyst that is now infected.
you need to have the entire nail  removed and cleaned.  hopefully, the cyst will dissolve also during the procedure.  in the meantime, soak with epson salt and water until you get an appointment to have this treated.
This is me (adol) who posted the above question.  The pain has moved to be just a long the bottom of the nail and for the first time today there was pus coming up from the nail (base of the nail bed) and when I pushed on the swollen skin running along the base of the nail, more pus came out.  This is the first time in 3 months that I have seen pus.  Juts thought this might be important additional information.