Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Toe pain

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Toe pain

I am a racewalker and have always had some pain in my toes.  I found if I taped the two toes next to the small toe that would work.  In fact it worked for 3 years.  In the last few months, the pain has increased intensely.  I made an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon to see what could be the problem.  I had self-diagnosed myself with Morton's Neuroma.  He never suggested that it was Morton's.  I told him that I taped my toes and he suggested I keep doing that and gave me a cortisone shot in the joint of one of my toes.  That was absolutely no help and a waste of money.

I have tried metatarsal pads and toe wraps, but nothing recently has helped.  One odd thing is that somedays the toes do not hurt at all or they will shift from toes on the left foot to the right foot, though the right foot is the most affected foothe pain starts in the toe and seems to run into my foot. (Nerve?)  I am at my wits end.  I love racewalking and I was walking 5 to 6 miles a day and racing a 5K on Saturdays.  I am unable to walk that far on most days now.  The pain is just too excruciating.  Sometimes if I have a ways to walk to get back to where I started when the pain gets too bad, I can bend the toes of that foot under in my shoe and it will feel better for awhile if I walk like that.

I have had a MRI and nothing seemed amiss.  I have also gone to a chiropractor for over a year.  He has helped with my sciatica problem immensely.  He just can't work miracles on my feet/toes.

Any help would be appreciated.
i would get a second opinion from a podiatrist.
usually, toe pain may suggest a fracture.  taping the toes provides splinting and decrease motion.  
a neuroma usually hurts between the metatarsals and  taping usuallly worsens the pain.
you may have tense gripping of the toes when you race walk, which would cause toe pain.  it is difficult for me to assess without seeing you. i recommend going to a podiatrist to be examined.