Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Toenail Removal

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Toenail Removal

I think i need to have my toenails removed but i am not sure. In the past three years my toenails have gotten worse. It started out just on one big toe and not it has spread to the other big toe. My nails are very yellowish brown and very hard. The break off so easy that they are getting caught up in the sheets on the bed and ripping the rest of it off. It is very painful. If i try to cut the toenail it is hard and when it does cut it ripes half the nail off, which then it bleeds and is very painful.

Can the podiatrist remove my toenails and will that fix my problem? I have been to the determinoloigst and he said that there is not infection but what could be the problem or the cause. I just want pretty toenails.
i would have the podiatrist perform an aggressive nail abrasion.
this will help remove unhealthy nail.  then, file them daily and apply tea tree oil on the nails.  if you notice some improvement, removing the nails may help.  an oral antifungal (lamisil) can help as well (only take it if your liver is healthy).