Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Unusual bumps

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Unusual bumps

Over the past few months, I've noticed the appearance of small, round bumps on the heel of my left foot. The first appeared in early April as a painful, purple spot. At first I believed it was a spider bite and treated it as such. The pain eventually went away, but the bump remained. Two months ago, two more bumps appeared with tremendous pain, which again eventually subsided. The three bumps are still on my heel with limited visibility when held normally, but when the heel has pressure placed on it, the bumps are extremely obvious with even more small bumps appearing. They seem to be fairly deep under the skin, too deep to be normal blisters. I have worked in a job that kept me standing for 5-6 hours at a time for the past year, which may have something to do with the bumps. The right foot shows similar bumps when pressure is applied but has not had the problems and pain of the left.
the fascia holding the fat in the heel is allowing protrusion of the fatty tissue.  these are called piezogenic papules.  they are benign.  it worsens with standing and pressure on the feet.  
wearing supportive shoes and compression stockings can help.