Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Walk with a limp after sitting

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Walk with a limp after sitting

Hi;

After sitting for more than 15 minutes, or driving, when I get up I walk with a limp for maybe 5 minutes. My right foot and ankle are a little sore and fell like they wont support my body.

I am 46 years old, 68 inches tall and weigh about 190. I am active all day long and nothing slows me down. I walk 4 miles for exercise three times a week. Everything is fine and I am in great health.

I am just wondering why after sitting for 15 minutes I have to walk with a limp. It will go away after 5 minutes or so and then I walk fine. Any idea what is going on?

Pat
it sounds like you have arthritis.  synovial fluid lines the joints and prevents friction when the bone joints move.  when you have arthritis, some of the cartilage is worn, so some areas have bone to bone contact and little cushioning until the body starts circulating the fluid.  when that happens, the pain disappears.
on another hand, if you had a sprain or soft tissue injury in the past, you can have the same results.
tissue heals by scarring, thus rendering the ligaments/tendons more inflexible.  when you intially stand, the tissue has to stretch.  since it's inflexible from the prior injury, the stretching hurts.  once the body starts moving more, the tissue assumes the length needed to accommodate walking/running and the pain dissappears.
A related discussion, Limp after sitting for 15-20 minutes was started.