Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
bruise on both big toes, lasting 6 months?

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

I have reddish purple spots on each of my big toes. They almost match. They have been on my toes for the past 6 months with no signs of going away. I finally caved in and saw a podiatrist. He told me it was bruising. My question is this : Can bruising last 6 months with no sign of healing? And if they were bruises why would they itch on occasion? He told me it was from some heels I wear, but i hardly ever wear them. I'm not convinced. These big red purple spots on my toes, could it really be a bruise or something more serious. He just kept me telling me I had bad feet. Please please help me. They look awful and I have been dealing with this far too long.
on the toe nail?  where on the toe?  if it is on the nail, that is dried blood.  it takes a long time for them to grow out..

if you wear a shoe that has little height in the toebox, the toenails get bruised when you walk and bleed.  the blood dries and has to grow outward with the nail.  the nail grows 1 mm/month.  it usually only happens to the big toes b/c they are the thickest and get rubbed more readily in these type of shoes.  clogs can do this too...even though they are roomy in the toe box.  the toes extend and brush up against the top of the shoe when you swing your feet during the walking gait cycle.  this occurs more readily in clogs b/c the foot is trying to keep the shoes on.  
No its not on my toenails. But the flesh of my toe. right on the top of my big toes.
i can't give a diagnosis without seeing the foot and performing diagnostic tests such as x-rays to determine why you have these discolorations.  
if they are bothersome, get a second opinion from another podiatrist or dermatologist.