Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
pain on lateral side of foot

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

pain on lateral side of foot

I began to have problems with my left foot around two months ago. I have pain on the lateral side of my left foot extending from my small toe, down under the arch. My heel does not hurt and the medial portion of my foot does not hurt as well. It feels like a tightening/cramping sensation. The pain is usually at its worse when I begin walking after having been sitting down for awhile - it is hard to put any weight on it. I have no idea what I could have done to it. There is no swelling, bump or bruise. The pain does diminish after walking around for a little while, but it is still sore to press on. I was wearing flip flops for awhile when this began but stopped wearing them. What could be wrong? Motrin does help - but the problem is not going away. Thanks
It sounds like you have muscle strain of the flexor and abductor digit minimi muslce.  This muscle attaches to the 5th toe and courses along the bottom and side of the lateral foot.  This was most likely caused by wearing non supportive shoes (flip flops).  Rest helps, but once you stand, you continue to restrain.  Motrin should help if you take a correct dose (600-800 mg every 8 hours with food).  Make sure that you don't have gastritis or you will develop ulcers.
Massaging with menthol/Ben-Gay/tiger balm helps.  Lastly, wearing medical grade orthotics can help support the aching muscle.  Since your pain has been over 2mos, I would suggest going to your Podiatrist to get an x-ray and work up. He/she may also strap your foot with tape to help reduce tension to the muscles.