Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
random unexplained foot pain for a week?

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

About a week ago I noticed that my foot hurt a bit when I bent my toes up. I just figured I stepped funny or something and ignored it. After 5 days it didn't go away, and seemed to vary in intensity. Walking seemed to make it worse. But there was no swelling and no discoloration and I couldn't think of anything I'd done to my foot recently, so I wasn't sure what to make of it. But, today the area that hurts IS slightly swollen. Still normal colored though. I don't have any insurance for x-rays or tests, but it couldn't really be broken, could it? It doesn't hurt badly, but it does hurt enough to give me a bit of a limp. Is it possible to pull a muscle or sprain something without noticing at the time? Does a sprain even swell? Is there some other foot problem I should be considering? As far as I know, I haven't stepped on anything recently, and anyways it's mainly the top part of my foot that hurts.

Help?
ice the area, wear sneakers for comfort, and take anti-inflammatories (like advil) to help with the pain.  if the pain continues or worsens, get an xray to rule out fractures.  without actually performing an exam, it is difficult to know exactly why you are having pain.