Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
strange bruise under toenail

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

strange bruise under toenail

Hi there -

I noticed a small bruise under the toenail of my big toe maybe 3 or 4 months ago.  I had no idea how it happened, when it appeared, etc.  My best idea is I injured it in Aug, when I fell down some stairs and sprained the other ankle.  I don't remember it bruising then, though.

In any case, the bruise spot (and I'm not sure its a bruise, just using that for lack of a better word) has remained, and is slowly getting bigger, to where its now covering the entire left side of the nail.  The top of the nail is white, which it didn't used to be.

It doesn't hurt, ache, etc.  A friend of mine saw it and was far more concerned than I have been, so here I am asking.  Any ideas?  Need for concern?  I figure I'll lose the nail, probably just in time for sandal season lol, but any need for concern beyond that?

Thanks,

Jess
It's difficult to assess without looking at the nail.  It could be a subungal hematoma, which is merely blood under the nail, or a nail neoplasm (tumor).
I would go to the podiatrist to have this checked.  Malignant melanoma can appear like a bruised nail.
Usuallly bruised nails don't keep getting larger unless you continue to injure it or a vessel under the nail continues to bleed.
Have you recently walked a very long time? Do you have diabetes?
A related discussion, bruised looking toe nail was started.