Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
wife's leg turning purple/reddish in color

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

My wife has had foot trama since Feb. this year. Some tendon problems but no tears. She wore a boot then a brace and now taking therapy. No surgery done. Starting to put about 50% weight now on the foot, however the leg, only when she walks, is turning purple/reddish in color. When she sits the color goes back to normal within a few minutes. No topical oinments, no new pain medication, just an occasional advil. Going back to the Dr. in a few days.
doctor's answer: your wife has normal hyperemia (increase blood flow) changes that occur with trauma.
it will dissappear in 3-6 months.
Hi,There! The colour most likely will go away after a few weeks-once she gets moving around more.- RSD also causes that colour change but not only when walking. Keep the foot elevated when sitting down and NSAIDs as needed. Good Luck!
About that RSD. How do you really know you have it and not just something else. I've done some reading on it and I'm not sure she has it. She has been walking (50%) weight for about 2 weeks now. There is no pain, swelling or the other things they talk about with RSD.

Thank you very much
Hi,There! I'm pretty sure your wife doesn't have RSD.I was told I had it based on the color and pain & I'm sure I don't have it either! I think RSD has quite severe symptoms, like touch sensitivity etc...I also believe that some physicians are quck to diagnose RSD when symptoms aren't the norm for a specific injury. While I didn't have a foot injury(I had tib/fib and malleolar fractures)I was off my feet for quite a spell & I had the same colur issues a your wife.Everyone was horrified @ the colour but gradually it got better.  By any chance is your wife a smoker? That was the first question I was asked as evidently smoking can cause this. Anyway, if your wifes circulation is good(good pulse on the top of the foot) I wouldn't worry, it just all takes time.Does your wife go to PT? Therapists are often quite helpful w/exercises. The best of luck to both of you.
Thanks for your comments. You know when this happens your mind goes here and there. I agree with your comment that Physicans are quick to look at things that their not sure of. I don't know if my comment made sense but I hope you got my idea.
No, she is not a smoker and yes she is in PT. three times a week for now, but I think its going to only twice a week next week.

Thank you again for your comments and concern.