896?1297802500
Foot Drop User Group
Foot drop due to MS
About This Group:

Foot Drop is a support group. The goal of group is to share information, and connect with others dealing with foot drop. Foot Drop can be caused by stroke, back or spine injury and tumor.

Founded by FMDAdvocate on February 15, 2011
88 members

Foot drop due to MS

I was recently diagnosed with MS.  DX was initiated due to foot drop.  Got an AFO and absolutely hate it - I do not feel it does anything.  I still feel like I am dragging my leg and lift from my hip.  Any thoughts
I have been through countless AFO's, fittings, customizing.... Everyone is different.  But for me the ToeOFF brace by Allard has been amazing.  

The hard part for me, and I'm sure for everyone, is that when Foot Drop is DX, my knowledge on FD was not great.  My knowledge on AFO's was even less.  How to pay for them and file insurance with them - non-existent!  This is one of those situations where you will be your best advocate.  Push your orthotist to seek different options to test and fit. Contact your Insurance company and really push to see the extent of your coverage.  Also your local MS Society can help you explore assistance. I say this, as many times, coverage prevents people from exploring.  

I wish you the best of luck on your search.  Please feel free to send me a message if you have other questions!
I like your user name. You are so right about insurance. I have great insurance but I learned the hard way they only pay for one AFO. Sadly my first one was terrible. So I have been out of pocket hundreds of dollars trying others. It's taken me 2.5 years to figure out what works for me. I gave up on the night splint and now use a footboard with a pillow to press my foot on. I haven't had a pain free day since my back surgery. Mostly coming from my big toe, nerve pain. How about you, do you have radiculopathy?
How long have you been dealing with it?
Oh, the other insurance issue, only one electrical stimulator. I lost my $1600.00 stimulator while traveling. Insurance refused to pay for a 2nd so I found a cheaper model on eBay.
Best to you,
Hi, I am very sorry about your MS diagnosis. Have you been evaluated for the Walk Aide or Bioness? If you look at their web sites it tells you where to go in your area. They are very expensive but your insurance may cover.

Do you have a good doctor following your care? Foot drop is a terrible challenge but time did help me accept.
Please keep me posted on how you are doing.
God Bless,
rodansdog joined this group
Welcome them!
Jul 17
22Hope221 joined this group
Welcome them!
May 08
ustie joined this group
Welcome them!
May 07