896?1297802500
Foot Drop User Group
Replace drop foot brace with cowboy boots
About This Group:

Foot Drop is a support group. The goal of group is to share information, and connect with others dealing with foot drop. Foot Drop can be caused by stroke, back or spine injury and tumor.

Founded by FMDAdvocate on February 15, 2011
88 members

Has anyone else tried cow boy boots?  I used a medically prescribed torture brace for several years.  Miserable!  I put on a high style 'Ugg" boot with no brace one day and found the high back of the ugg boot rested against the back of my calf and sort of prevented my right foot from dropping.  Wheels started turning and I had an insight.  My normal unsupported foot drooped so why fight it, have my footwear normally hold my foot in a droop position.  How about a high heeled cowboy boot?  The heel is held above the toes normally so you are not jacking your foot into a standard position by constantly applying pressure on it.  

I got a cheep pair of cowboy boots about $100 and gave it a try.  I never looked back!  Why did it work for me?  The heel is higher than the toe and the boot top of the boot rests against my calf almost fully eliminating any toe trip or toe drop.  Another benefit, and this is huge for me, is that the heel on a cowboy boot has the back edge slightly forward of a shoe heel and more under the load point on the heel.  With this heel location of the boot forward and that it is about 2 inches extended below the foot it provides a pivot for my foot on the floorboard of my car when I drive.  This gives me very precise control of my gas pedal.  With my old brace my driving was pretty much "Binary" all on or all off because I had to use my thigh muscle to punch my foot on or off the gas.  I also got leg cramps on extended drives from using my thigh muscles to suspend my foot over the gas pedal.

Cowboy boot stores will certainly let you try on a pair for free and walk around - No risk!  Try it.
1 Comment
The cowboy boot worked well for me the first few months of my foot drop then it was summer in Florida for me. I just got to hot in the boots. Now I feel like I'm dependent on the AFO for support when walking. Honestly I don't think it's any less hot wearing it in the summer months!

I'm glad the boot is working for you. Foot drop is a challenge!
rodansdog joined this group
Welcome them!
Jul 17
22Hope221 joined this group
Welcome them!
May 08
ustie joined this group
Welcome them!
May 07