896?1297802500
Foot Drop User Group
Still waiting
About This Group:

Foot Drop is a support group. The goal of group is to share information, and connect with others dealing with foot drop. Foot Drop can be caused by stroke, back or spine injury and tumor.

Founded by FMDAdvocate on February 15, 2011
92 members

Still waiting

Hello everyone. I am new to this group and something i dont normally get involved in. However when reading some of the posts from people i kind of felt no longer alone. I have had foot drop for almost 4 years now. The result of a continuous back problem which culminated in waking up one morning and literally falling over my 'useless' foot. I had suffered with back trouble on and off for many years, the latest bout starting in mid 2008 and continuing right up to my operation in 2009. I tried every therapy imaginable before i was forced into the operation,however nothing worked. I had L1 and L2 protrusion which the docs seemed to think may heal with time, although i have to say, the doctors did act fast with the onset of foot drop. I have never been so scared in all my life waking up to find my foot did not work and even went to work thinking it was some kind of pins and needles that would go away. This is not really a question but more a way of passing on my story to people who understand. I was very active sportwise beforehand and feel angry sometimes that this has happened, however i do realise that other people rae worse off than me. Immediately after the op i had no movement at all, the foot just hung there, but i have to say it has improved. I can wiggle my toes and move my foot from side to side but cannot actually lift my foot. I did think it would get better but am almost resigned to the fact it is with me forever. Does anyone know of any complete recoveries. I am still wearing the nhs plastic leg brace, which is uncomfortable and sweaty in the summer, but feel the nhs washed there hands of me long ago. I continue to live in hope
Don`t give up hope on getting your foot back, it sounds as if you already have got some movement back considering you said it was just hanging, i have heard of people getting it back although it can take up to a year or even more. How are you now as it was January when you first posted. I too have been told i have drop foot for life but i`m not prepared to just accept that which is the great thing on finding this forum as we can learn from each other and find things out.

Sha  
See my full comment in response to 'any hope for drop foot recovery' thread but yes there is hope.
I am extremely fortunate having now virtually fully recovered. The slight movement of toes and lateral movement is the start. I was told minimum 18 months if at all for recovery and 7 months later have majority back. Do not give up as if you are regaining some nerve control ie movement that is great. It may be slow but hopefully you will get there. Best of luck to you
Chelle45 joined this group
Welcome them!
Nov 10
JessG16 joined this group
Welcome them!
Sep 24
poppyhead commented on ShanesMother's status
Sep 15