GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
3 year old with acid reflux

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

3 year old with acid reflux

We have struggled with this for 3 years now and she is clearly not going to grow out of this so I am trying to learn more about the triggers.  Our daughter has had reflux ever since she was born.  I breastfed exclusively and went dairy free and gluten free and that didn't help.  We finally did a blood allergy test later on and I noticed that the only thing she responded to negatively was chicken.  Once we cut that out, she stopped having the terrible responses and reflux episodes, but now we still see reflux and stomach trouble to date.  I have been reading about protein allergies and i am wondering how i figure out what else is causing her reflux.  Right now I have her on a limited diet - she eats beef and shrimp and cod for protein.  If she has a lectin intolerance, can shrimp and cod be the culprits as well?  I am so frustrated.  I have her going gluten free again and I can't tell yet if that is helping.  I have her dairy free as well.  This poor child can't eat anything she likes and so far chicken is the only culprit we can find.  What else could it be?
Hi, I know how frustrating this is...my DD had a similar issue st that age.

My DD had issues with several things...food dyes...I had to dilute pear juice....even Jello gave her hives....it is so strange as it all stared with reflux.

She did however grow out of it....I did the elimination diet....u eliminate foods...and then re-introduce keep a journal of all foods and reactions....this is the only way I could do this...and an allergy to foods could be causing the reflux.

I am not sure if shrimp or cod have the lectins that affect her, but using the elimination diet may help u figure out if it is an allergy to sea food itself.

Just a quick note, my DD did not always respond negativity to certain foods...many times it was repeated exposure that  would bring the adverse affects...in reading on lectins it said this can happen.

Do u have the head of her bed Elevated?....avoid letting her lie down for 3  to 4 hours after eating....

Please keep us posted on her progress
"selma"