GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Acid Reflux & Rapid Heart Beating

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Acid Reflux & Rapid Heart Beating

Once in awhile I am cursed with a quick feeling in my stomach right in the soft area below the breast bone, that is quick & with a little pressure that then goes into my heart beating about 120-130 BPM.
I have no pain or trouble breathing when this happens & when I take 2-3 gulps of Mylanta or Pepto, it subsides and all goes away. I have had this happen after bending over, turning just my head to one side, laying on my right side, turning at my waist & just sitting. I also have had it awaken me while sleeping & usually in the middle of an emotional dream when it happens. (Crying or laughing in my dream)
I have a 48 hour holter monitor,EKG,ECHO,stress test & several images of the heart done in March of 2009 & ALL was normal. Back in 1995 I was told I had a MVP & it was nothing, but the last tests said I have a normal,healthy heart.
So...my question is...can Acid Reflux cause the symptoms I have described?
I have heartburn once in a while, but have occasional episodes of indigestion,gas,& food squirt up in the back of my mouth.
But again...no pain, just the discomfort of the heart racing, because I don't like it & it makes me nervous.
Thank You!
Roxcie
Maybe, maybe not.  I have acid reflux and I also have the super fast heart beat on occasion.  Mine was "clocked at" 125 bpm, which on some occasions had lasted for over 2 hours.  After jumping through many medical hoops, I was told that I most likely have Supra Ventricular Tachacardia (this may not be spelled correctly).  I have found that I can get the rapid/and very hard beating to stop the quickest by chewing, and swallowing 2 aspirin and 2 calcium/magnesium/zinc tablets (it usually subsides in about 5 minutes).  I am currently almost episode free as I am drinking milk pretty regularly or taking my calcium/magnesium/zinc if I haven't had dairy in a couple of days (I had read at one time that the fast heart beat could be associated with a calcium deficiency/or other vitamin imbalance).  The calcium (which is also a natural muscle relaxer) seems to be working for me.
When my acid reflux hit me 17 years ago, it suddenly felt like my food was getting stuck and it felt like I had something stuck in my throat. My children were almost 2 and 6 months old at the time. (I will try to keep this short. This will relate to your problem. :)) Every dr. I went to wanted to say it was my nerves causing my problems because my children were so young. This made me furious them blaming my babies! I knew how I was feeling and it was not from my nerves or my children! I could not find any help! It got so bad that I was mainly eating soup and mashed potatoes. One day my heart rate went up to 140 bpm and I ended up spending the night in ICU at my local hospital. I was put on cardizem and the dr. said it's probably your nerves and wanted to give me xanax to help the "food getting stuck" problem. I took the cardizem for 6 months. (But not the xanax) (Even though all my heart tests were fine. I had no heart trouble at all. Finally....... I went to my ob/gyn and told him what was going on. He said, "Have you ever seen a Gastroenterologist?" "Why didn't they call a GI when you were in the hospital?" He sent me to a GI dr. He did an EGD and guess what? I had a very inflamed esophagus. I was put on prilosec and a few months later, i was fine! I went back to my cardiologist because I was still on the cardizem. I told him what I was finally diagnosed with. He acted a little embarrassed. He said I haven't helped you at all. He told me that there are nodes in your esophagus and when they get inflamed it can trigger your heart to beat fast. I also have heart palpitations at time. I have been told they are hereditary (My mom and her dad do and did this) But also I can tell if my acid reflux is really bad, I will have those palpitations. I have taken meds for the acid reflux for the entire 17 years. I have recently had another bad attack of acid reflux where my food was getting stuck after gaining some weight through the holidays. I am now trying to lose the weight, I'm back on prilosec after zantac quit working and now am doing much better.
I hope this helps.

PS My babies are now 19 and 17.  :)