GERD (Acid Reflux) Expert Forum
Acid Reflux and Diarrhea

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Acid Reflux and Diarrhea

I am a 21 year old male who has been experiencing regular bouts of acid reflux and diarrhea for the past 6 years.  Last year I saw a gastroenterologist who performed an endoscopy (my second one) and a full colonoscopy to check for signs of Colitis or anything serious.  Several biopsies were done on various parts of the colon and revealed nothing.  The endoscopy results revealed a hiatal hernia and I was told to just continue taking Prilosec and was also diagnosed with I.B.S.  I was prescribed Levcin for abdominal pain from the same doctor, which I took for a while, but it proved to have no effect on me.

Since then, I have had two upper GI and small bowl examinations (6 months apart) done with radioactive barium and they revealed absolutely nothing.  In both examinations, the hiatal hernia was not present and aside from a seemingly "quick" digestive system, everything looked in perfect health.  I also had a CAT scan to examine my gallbladder, but it also showed nothing.  The first doctor I saw prescribed me medication for Colitis, which also did absolutely nothing.  I was tested for both bacteria and parasites and both revealed nothing.  I was treated for Giardia regardless as I had a pet with it, but, you guessed it, did absolutely nothing.

For about a month back in 2004, my throat would close itself entirely on a completely involuntary basis. This happened throughout the day and night for approximately a month.  I visited several ENT specialists and they never found anything and I was diagnosed with Paradoxical Vocal Chord Motion.  This lasted for some time before we discovered a large amount of mold growing behind a wall in my room.  The mold was removed and the problem was cured with the help of some antibiotics and steroids.

However, here I am today, still suffering from severe reflux and diarrhea with no actual remedy.  This has ruined my life so if you have any helpful information or any steps I could take to just feel normal. please post your reply.
For acid reflux continue taking PPI along with lifestyle modifications.
If once daily dose is not effective, take it twice daily. If still not effective switch to another PPI.
For IBS, take probiotic supplements and antidiarrheals. You may also consider taking antispasmodics along with antidepressants.