Acid Reflux and Hernia-Best OTC med?
I was diagnosed almost 15 yrs ago with acid reflux and a hiatel (spelling?) hernia. I had an endoscope done and I remember the doctor putting me on medicine and a strict diet. It helped, but I can't remember what he put me on. I am pretty overweight and loosing it slowly. I've had 5 kids and amazingly never really had heartburn or acid reflux in the pregnancies. Well for the past 2 months, I have had tightness of the throat and sore throat. I have been treating it like it is allergies and anxiety. I automatically assumed it was anxiety (which I should know better because I hate when doctors do that to me!) Nothing has helped. I have really been paying attention and have noticed that my upper stomach hurts alot, I burp ALOT, my stomach and throat burn alot, my throat feels tight (like it could close)/chokey, my throat has the clear "slimey" stuff on it-especially after eating, and boy do pizza and fried foods make it all severe! Obviously these symptoms set off my anxiety, thinking I'm in danger. I decided today to start taking a extra strength Rolaids after each meal and before bedtime, and to go back to the diet.
So my question is.....what is the best OTC med for acid reflux and a hietal hernia? Will the 1 Rolaids even touch it?  
Hi Katie,

Well u know some foods u need to stay away from.....but there is a diet u should follow and as far as OTC meds....there r some u may want to try until u see a dr, but u need to see one.....self medicating is the one way to cause other issues.

The meds for acid reflux can cause malabsorbition of vitamins and minerals.....so u need a dr to watch over u.

Prilosec OTC is good to stop the acid production, but u need acid to break the foods down so once the stomach is clam u may want to switch to pepcid.

Please see our Health Pages for foods that are safe and foods to avoid as well as lifestlye changes....u need this along with meds to feel better.

Call ur dr and post and update on ur progress

"selma"