GERD (Acid Reflux) Expert Forum
Acid Reflux?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Acid Reflux?

I am not sure if this is acid refluxes or not, I do not have health insurance and can not afford to go to the hospital to get this checked out. Can any one help me figure out what this maybe?

Every so often maybe every month or so, I can what starts out to be pain in my lower back but then moves up to my sternum and burns, It is a constant burn and makes my back start to hurt, and is quite painful. I also puke up acid, today I believe it was pickles that caused it. Other times it comes when I am very stressed out. Once I get it, it lasts for a few days, soaking in a hot bath seems to ease the pain temporary. Once it goes away it will be another month or two before I get it again.

Any suggestions?
Most of the symptoms you have mentioned are suggestive of acid reflux.
One simple way to know whether it is due to reflux is to take the medication prilosec OTC before food. If the symptoms are due to acid reflux then you will find relief.
You can try sleeping with the head of you bed elevated or use a seven wedge pillow.It is also helpful to stay away from spicy foods,chocolate and eating before bedtime. If this helps then you can assume that it is acid reflux. I have never heard of nausea being a symptom. Good Luck!
Try 2 tbsp of vinegar, or drink a real coke.   If it is acid reflux, both of these items will immediately stop the pain.