GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Acid reflux - severe belching ?? Please help :-(

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Somebody please help me, I am becoming more and more miserable by the day!!
Two and a half weeks ago I started feeling really gassy in my chest and felt like I had a huge bubble of air under my rib cage/my tummy and kept burping but not normal burps, it felt like trapped wind stuck in my oesophagus and they are constant.  And kept getting an acidic taste in my mouth.  Also my upper tummy was/has been making the most awful noises, it sounds like I have gallons and gallons of water in my stomach when I don't after I eat or drink something! So a few days later I went to A&E about it (couldn't get a GP appt as I was working night shifts at the time), and she did blood tests for my gall bladder and a rectal examination which all came back normal, so the doctor put it down to an acid reflux (I am 22 years old by the way).  Prescribed me lanoprazole and said to keep an eye on it.  Took them for a few days, helped the symptoms for a few hours but kept happening so went back to A&E, saw an absolutely useless doctor who couldn't wait to get rid of me who also said acid reflux and said the lanoprazole will take weeks to kick in.  Anyway symptoms persisted over days, I tried everything - assilone, peptac, drinking water/milk, which helped for a short time but not long enough! So went to my GP and he thinks it's my gall bladder and has referred me to have an ultrasound of my upper abdo this week (it's on Wednesday 28th April).  Anyway a couple more days passed and I kept having the constant belching, all the time, and like I say they are like trapped wind burps, constant!! Driving me insane and my tummy keeps making the wishy-washy noise so I went BACK to my GP and saw a different doctor, who thinks it's IBS (irritable bowel syndrome - been told I have that before), as when she examined my tummy it hurt in certain places that she pressed, and I have been opening my bowels more than normal - no diahorea at all, just soft stool - normal colour also.  So she said my bowels are inflamed.  I requested to have a gastroscopy so she has sent off for me to have one done.  I also told her that where I am constantly burping all of the time, it has made it feel like I have a lump in the back of my throat, she said that is caused by stress (I have been stressing over it BIGTIME and been crying almost every day cos it's so so uncomfortable and ruining my lifestyle), and she said the acid also causes it as it aggrevates my throat.

Please can someone who has these symptoms talk to me! And tell me if all this constant belching is normal.  I am going for a blood test tomorrow morning to check my pancreas is all okay and that will rule out any problems.  

Please help I just find myself crying all the time cos I dunno how to control it :-( and I am such a paranoid person I keep thinking worst case scenario which obviously isn't helping as stress makes it worse... but I can't help it :-(
  Oh Siobhan,
       I so feel for you. I went thru this with my husband and his acid reflux problems. To see him so worried, sleepless, the relentlessness of the symptoms, He was sure he had a life threatening disease. I was a wreck myself! If you do have GERD, which it very much sounds like you do, here is what my husband did to control his symptoms and get his life back.
     His doctor put him on Prilosec for 2 weeks to help his burned esophagus heal. He tried several other meds with no success, but this seemed to work well enough that he could stop taking them when his throat was no longer injured, then we moved on to these natural remedies:
    1) Take a broad spectrum digestive enzyme with each meal, every day.
    2) Drink aloe vera juice to soothe and help heal your digestive tract.
    3) When heartburn or reflux threatens, he takes 2 activated charcoal capsules. These soak up excess acid and gas really well. As a matter of fact, I had to take some yeasterday, because MY stomach felt sour, and an hour later, I felt noticeably better.
    Go to a health food store for these. You can also drink wheatgrass juice to help alkalinize your belly. Read up on these things. They all do wonderful things for your digestion.
    Ah, the burping! That is the calling card of poor digestion. My husband had horrible belching, and I was like, "This can't be normal!" That's when I learned about pH balance and alkalinizing foods. The wheatgrass or aloe juice have greatly reduced his belching because they neutralize the gas that causes it. Give it a try
   The lump in your throat is also very much a symptom of reflux.
       Good luck.
Hi and welcome to the GERD forum.

Many have used remedies like Jangela has mentioned...not all work for everyone, just like meds do not work for everyone.

Keeping a journal of how u feel and what u ate can help narrow down ur own triggers food wise and  even stress wise.Modify ur diet and lifestyle using the Health pages tips to help reduce some of ur symptoms.

IBS can affect ur reflux ..talk to ur dr about using a product like Mirilax....the burping is caused by the bloating and pressure when u do not eliminate ur waste.

Below is a link to the Health Pages :

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=236

"selma"

Thank you for your quick replies, I appreciate that.

The thing that is getting me down the most is the constant belching.  But they aren't like your normal average burp! The only way I can explain it is, it feels like I have a big ball of trapped wind in my throat (just below adams apple area) and it comes up in phases, but the 'burps' aren't smelly, just windy! And I constantly have this feeling of trapped wind in the back of my throat which is a 'lump sensation', feels a bit like phlegm, which I can't seem to bring up. It is driving me insane!!!
       I don't know exactly what causes the sensation of the lump, but I suspect it's a combination of excess mucous, irritated esophagus , and trapped gas. Maybe your body is producing the extra mucous in an effort to coat and protect your esophagus from further damage. The esophagus lining may have also constricted and now between the smaller passageway and the phlegm, the wind is having trouble escaping. In any case, it sounds miserable and I wish you success.
Ah it is so miserable, seriously the amount of times I've been in tears over it the past few days... think I am driving my boyfriend mad! As soon as the belching stops, it just feels like a tight sort of muscular pain under my rib cage - my upper abdo, think it's where it's been straining so much.  Also have a lot of trapped wind at the moment.  Think it could be a combintation of my IBS as well.

Hi...I totally understand how u feel, and I am sure if u get the OBS under control u may get rid of that burp/bloated feeling.

AS I mentioned b4...whenever my IBS flares, I too, have many of the issues u mentioned, plus I do have a hiatal hernia.....

Hang in there and do see a GI dr about ur IBS....keep a journal in case u have food allergies.

"selma"
Well some good news! Had my ultrasound scan today which reveals all my organs are fine in my tummy, and the past few days i've felt alot better, still got a bit of belching and the 'swallowed air trapped in throat' sensation but i'm just learning to ignore it and I haven't had to have any of my lanzoprazole pills for 2 days now... watch this space!!! xx
Congratulations !!

So glad to hear u r feeling better : )

"selma"
Thank u so much :) my gastroscopy test is at the end of May, i'm gonna have it done anyone just to be on the safe side, but I feel so so much better and still haven't had to take any of my medication for about 4 days now :)
Good luck and I pray the need for the meds does not return : )

"selma"
Hiii,

I'm 20 and experiencing this exact incredibly uncomfortable "air-stuck-in throat" sensation too! Its really upsetting and uncomfortable :( I also notice that when i do try to spit out this supposed phlegm, its usually comepletely transparent but thick in consistency. Was it one of your symptoms too? I just went to see a doctor again this morning and have been referred to the hospital for an upper endocopy. What did your doctor pinpoint the issue down to? This has been going on for weeks already and the peviously prescribed Omeprazole did not really help at all! It has already messed up my exams revision and my plans to gain weight!  :(

P.S. I hope you're feeling better
P.P.S. I hope this isn't serious :(
Well I was fine until my fiance and I went to Mexico together two weeks ago and my god did I suffer when we were away! Probably didn't help that the only drinks they had in our hotel was either alcohol or fizzy pop.  So all I was drinking was coke or sprite for two weeks straight plus eating all sorts of different foods.  I couldn't stop belching, I had trapped wind in my throat, I kept coughing up phlegm, and it constantly felt like everything I ate was coming back up. I was even sick one night when it really flared up.  To top it all off, I didn't have any medication/rennies/assilone with me so just had to stick it out!!! It calmed down after a couple of days but it really messed my holiday up for a few days.
I've got my endoscopy on 15th July.  I'm dreading it but I know it's just going to be an acid reflux cos of the amount of belching/trapped wind/phlegm I have coming up all the time and when it flares up, my 'lump in throat' feeling comes back where its aggravating my throat.

Hi, so sorry u had a return of symptoms...but MEXICO ..yikes, the water is off limits, but soda and that spicy food it is no wonder u feel as u do...

But,m u know what u need to do to calm it down...and I hope this flare doesn't last too long.

Feel better : )

"selma"
Well last night I ended up in an ambulance on the way to hospital because I was in such a state.  I couldn't stop belching (but not just your ordinary burp - it sort of starts from my stomach and I can feel it coming all the way up and it is really 'airy' and lasts about 5 seconds the sound - really loud) and get the acidy taste in my mouth.  I laid down trying to sleep and had to sit up immediately because I had what was like 'trapped wind' in my throat and I was wretching for about 30 seconds trying to get it out when I suddenly vomited my dinner - which I couldn't eat much of at all. I felt so sick and my stomach (under my ribs) felt like I had been punched in it about 10 times.  Even drinking something basic like water makes me burp within seconds!! It's really really getting me down.  In A&E they gave me Peptac liquid to take 4 times a day after meals and the doctor said it sounds like bad indigestion - but seriously, ALL the time? I can't stop burping all the time even after drinking water! Thing is I have completely lost my appetite and I think it's mainly a psychological thing because I am so terrified to eat anything incase it 'gets stuck' half way down because as soon as I eat I start burping within seconds.  I'm getting myself in such a state over it.  I'm only 22 and the doctor said it's VERY unlikely to be anything serious as I am so young (and there's NO family history at all).  My Dad suffers from acid reflux.

I have my endoscopy in 2 weeks but I really am at my wits end and I was in tears for hours last night.  Any suggestions? :-(
I know exactly how you feel because I have been going through the SAME thing for almost a year now actually...it comes and goes and sometimes isnt as bad as others. I constantly burp, even after water just like you said. I also burp constantly when I haven't eatten OR drinken anything. After reading your post about having to go to the hospital I'm starting to worry myself. I've had these symptoms for a while but I don't have any insurance so I've just kinda dealt with it. It's very uncomfortable and embarrassing. I get heartburn in my chest really bad sometimes, and then just keep burping. Sometimes I do have to swallow some air to try to help the burp come out because I can feel it in there. I also had the same symptom as you when you lay down in bed. There are times at night I'll go to bed and lay down and then have to sit up immediately because there is a horrible burning sensation in my chest and then I'll just sit there and burp like 5 times. It really *****! What ever happened after you went to the hospital? Did you get diagnosed with anything?
I've lived with this condition on and off for nearly 40 years since i was a child with no help from any of the dozens of docs i've seen, just more pills that never work, Instead of making me cry it makes me freek out and i end up smashing everything up and even self harming by punching things like brick walls and even my own stomach, as of now if i don't move at all i'm ok but as soon as i move i start burping and throwing up a bit, my throat is getting worse and I'm not sure how long i can put up with it any more, 15 hrs of this contantly is too much, please post if you come up with something. Just out of interest diet makes no difference what so ever, i've tried everything ever suggested and nothing fixes it, and it's not stress related either.
Do you have sleep problems as well? I have Cacadium rythum disorder apparently (nocturnal basically) i wonder if there's a connection between the 2.
I have been having the same constant trouble since 2007. I'll never forget it. One day, all of a sudden I couldn't burp like I normally could. I didn't think much about it until after a few days, I realized it isn't going away. so, naturally I goto a doctor they do blood tests, ultrasound everything besides an endoscopy and colonsocopy They said take hydrogen pump inhibitors. I slowly but surely learned how to push opn my stomach to help myself burp and I have to do this to this day. I burp hundred if not about a thousand times a day. Last year though, I went to see a different doc who afgter trying acid reflux meds decided to put me under for an endo and colonoscopy. The colono was fine but my endo showed the lower part of my esophagus was ripped up and striated with injuries. They said its a combination of stricture, hiatal hernia and acid reflux. I fear I'll never be able to get rid of it at this point. its destroyed the life I once had, nothing has been the same. I'm lucky i got a girl who can put up with it, but I'm convinced there's nothing I can do now. it's so terrible, and I've never seen anyone have this problem like I do. Every single activity of every day I live is affected by this condition and I burp hundreds of times a day, being careful not to do it too hard for fear of vomiting up anything thats in my stomach. we should communicate more if you're still enduriing this like me. I feel like there may be hope, but I also have serious doubts. The docs treat me like they've never seen anythihng like this before. I know that if its happening to me there must be someone out there who's going through this like me. email ***@****... lets talk
My wife had this burping problem on and of for sometime now and we recently found that taking pickled ginger that we bought from a japanese market helps.
That's interesting!

I'm 27 now, but for my whole life I've always been "gassy" in my stomach and had stomach pains. Some would have me bent over in pain. Usually burning or bloating. I'm 186cm, 67kg with pretty much zero fat and well not that much muscle either. I don't smoke, I don't drink more than a glass of wine per week average, I eat home cooked meals, cereal for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch.

In my 20s I developed a constant belch that could last from 30mins to 2 hours at a time. It would usually be after eating. I've tried to connect it with certain foods, but it's not easy. I noticed now that tea causes it to happen almost instantly.

As you describe, I can feel "something" in my thoat or a bit further down. I flex a specific muscle (I've learned how to do it over the years) and the air comes out. I can now almost let it out on my will. I'm sitting here right now and it's literally every 30 seconds or so that another gust of wind comes out my mouth with no after taste. A little bit of burning around the solar plexus area.

My wife calls it the "Elk" because it sounds like an animal noise. While this is happening I often have some discomfort around the ribcage and the middle of my chest/stomach. So I mean it looks list it's pretty obvious that it's some form of chemical reaction going crazy.

I looked up why tea might be cauing it and it seems to be linked to acidity. Tea apparently raises acidity pretty quickly (coffee is the same for me). It appears that I shouldn't drink tea.

I've had Nexium before which is supposed to slow down acid production so I'm going to take it again now for a few weeks and see what happens. Over time it might reduce it again.

I looked up a list of acidic foods to avoid and unfortunately almost every bloody food is on there!! I'm trying to switch to soy milk now, but I was tested for celiac disease and lactose intolerance and there's no issue there. I think I should probably go try some food allergies and maybe strip my diet down to some bare minimum until I find something that works.

There is one spanner in the works. I was on my honeymoon for two weeks just a month ago and I have to be honest I ate so much food but didn't really have a problem!!! Isn't that weird? The only thing different on the honeymoon is for breakfast I mostly had cooked food instead of cereal, we probably did a lot more physical activity.

I think one problem for me may also be the physical activity. I work in an office 9 hours a day so I really need to get off my butt. On the honeymoon I was always doing something whether it be in the pool, trecking or whatever. I even drank quite a few cocktails but it didn't seem to affect me there. As soon as I get home, 2 weeks later getting stomach pains and burping.

Maybe I should try bottled water for a few weeks as well since that's what I drank there. I can't think what else was different really... definitely had some fatty foods there which didn't affect me.

Still the mystery of my life!
I have many of the problems listed here, amongst a few others too.
I have overactive acid, a hiatal hernia and an erosive spot on the bottom of my stomach (I guess is due to all the acid and being sick so much).
I started having problems at 17/18, I am now 23, and only recently got diagnosed with the hernia. I think the hernia came from all the being sick too to be honest.
So the question is, why am I sick? Well that's not been answered for me yet.

I usually get ill during the evening or through the night, or early morning.
My whole stomach tightens up, it feels like it's literally in a knot. I get really bad trapped wind, which hurts like hell in my solar plexus and chest.
I rarely get heartburn now thankfully as I'm on Esomeprazole and Omeprazole (the doc swaps me between the two because he didn't want me on the stronger Esomeprazole constantly.)
I also suffer from severe waves of naseau, that come and go as they please, nothing helps with the sick feeling apart from an anti sickness jab which believe is Metaclopramide, and a saline drip (ended up in hospital numerous numerous times from this).
I got given peppermint capsules to help with the trapped wind, but they made me feel worse. As of yet I have found nothing to help with the wind :( A couple of people have mentioned flexing a stomach muscle to help bring the wind up, could anyone describe this to me? It would be a massive help.
Hi I had gerd problem. It make very upset. Too much gas in stomach and burping. Main thing is my heart beat fast after burping feel better this problem is from last 2 year I am on normal diet .not eat spicy food, no junk food, no oily food, no alcohol,no smoke,no fizzy drink.i am on zoton tab now.still I had problem of gas. It become worse when I can't sleep at night next morning it become worse with gas burping heart beat fast . I don't know what to do. I being to
I have the same problems , been to so many doctors who have just laugh at me, also suffer panic attack cry most days because of the burping and the pains that come with it, does any one have a problem with coughing up phlegm?
I have been reading your post from 2010 and pray that you have been cured by now. If so what was the cure. Everything you have described my father has been going through now for 4 years. It hurts me so to see him like this. please contact me asap.

Thank you,
Sonya
***@****
Ear, nose and throat doc thinks tonsil and soft pallet removal will hep with Gerd...anyone had success with this?
Hi im 25 years of age and for 4 days now ive had constant belching which is making me feel sick with it,ive tryed few tablets from chemist not really helped at all,its not like normal burpinf more like trapped air and i could be burping constantly for like 30 seconds a t atime its beggining to really get me down and upset and hurting my stomach and chest at times. Ive never had this before and its even putting me off my food, any suggestions?
Caroline
DRINKING HOT WATER SURELY GIVES ALOT OF RELIEF...
i have the same problem non stop bleching or burping i must say..
I developed really bad heartburn and indigestion while pregnant and was relieved when I had my daughter as I presumed I wouldn't suffer anymore. Well anyway, I did stop having the heartburn but the symptoms of indigestion got worse! I had to go to Primary care the one night because my chest and breast cage became so tight I was gasping for breath. The doc said it was acid reflux and now I get it up2 3 times a week. It makes me so miserble and weary about eating. Just read chocolate can trigger... wish I'd read that before eating that ice cream earlier (on;y thing I'd eaten all day, just wanted to soothe burning throat). I can't imagine there is a cure... I've tried so many different meds, gaviscon flares it even more I'm sure. Glad I'm not the only one in this boat though.
I've had bad stomach problems for over 15 years. I remember when I was a backpacker in London going to the ER as I thought I was having a heart attack. My heart was loud and skipping beats. Only much later down the track a good doctor telling me it was all related to my stomach.

My latest incident was when I was doing my weights and I drank a protein shake. I felt what can be described as my muscles behind my chest being ripped apart. Nothing helped, water, gaviscon, eno, you name it. Had to go to ER who were as puzzled as I was.

It calmed down slightly and several weeks later I have had an Ultra Sound and blood tests which are all normal. I am taking Pariet which seems to help but the oesophageal burping is still there and pain in the sternum still there. The pain is unique, like being punched in the stomach. A bruised feeling. Never burning like I am used to.

My dad had had issues all his life and doctors just don't know what to do.

With Xmas here, I'm afraid of what I can eat. But what I know does help is a Scotch and dry ginger mix. I am not sure why. Makes me think its muscle related.
Furthermore, has anyone found that drinking a heap of water helps? Do you feel better after eating? I do.

If unsure, try drinking about 1 litre of water over 15 minutes. Yes it has to be a lot! I find it helps. I gather that there is little room left for the gas to hide.

Going to the toilet frequently is a pain though :/
where is the pain located, is it to the right under the ribs, radiating towards the back, if so maybe gall bladder problems ...low fat diet and dont eat late.
I'm having similar problems, perhaps not quite as serious.  Just started being a real problem a few months ago.  Just started re-reading a book called the Acid-Alkaline Balance Diet, by Felicia Drury Kliment.  It's a fantastic book!  She explains how undigested food creates acidic waste that causes most degenerative diseases, as well as acid reflux.  For acid reflux, she suggests eating potatoes at every meal, beginning with them being well cooked, and gradually cooking them less and less.  The mucilage in potatoes is needed in the stomach to fully digest food and help to heal the damage done by the acid in the esophagas.  I haven't finished re-reading the book, but I highly recommend it.  
Hi Siobhan.  I know exactly how you feel: miserable.  I used to suffer from the same thing but am now acid reflux free.  It took a lot of time and I had to make some major lifestyle changes.  Finally, I can say that today I feel so much better.  I now write for a website, http://www.refluxdisease.org as I try to help others suffering from acid reflux disease.  I really feel for you and hope you can find some ideas or solutions that work for you.
From a 55 year old who comes from a long line of reflux sufferers: always keep celery in your fridge - in my experience a stick of it is far more effective than indigestion tablets and doesn't destroy your brain cells! Also lemonade sometimes helps settle things like a sink plunger in your stomach. For a long time fish and chips were my solution, but I now realise it was the vinegar that did the trick. But the celery is the most helpful thing and you can usually get hold of it on holiday : )
I started burping with each breath a few years ago.  It went on for 2 weeks nonstop.  I was in tears.  My mouth was full of saliva and with each swallow I would burp.  Sometimes the burps would get stuck before they came all the way up. I've never fully recovered.  I still have periods of burping that are just absolutely  ridiculous.  When it gets severe, I can concentrate on taking slow deep breaths and it will sometimes stop it.  I think this constant burping interferes with oxygen levels or I have poor oxygen levels that cause it to start with.  It's almost like I'm swallowing air with each breath but I can't stop it.  Now I have a lump in my throat.  After reading all this,  I'm not worried about it.  My GP told me to go from one prilosec a day to two a day.  It's good to know I'm not the only person in the world who burps nonstop.  lol
Glad to hear u are feeling better, I also suffer with pain just under my rib cage and a traped wind feeling and just lately I have been experiencing this lump in the troat feeling too but I am under a lot of stress lately I find the more stressed I get the worse it gets so I have been ignoring it now and it seems to be getting better. Hope u can ignore it too and u are all better in no time.  
I get the same thing your getting. Constant burping and stomach sounding like a water wave. Nothing is wrong with you. I've had this since high school. I don't know what it's called in English but in Chinese it's called "Jong Fom" and we Chinese ppl use Kwan Loong Oil which is a super Vicks Vapour Rub a menthol oil. You put a few drops and Indian burn (rubbing)  the oil on your tummy.  The strong menthol will release the trapped air from you belly and the burping should stop. Let me warn you the menthol does stink. It can take up to 3 days of rubbing the oil. Better to rub the oil at night cuz it does smell. The oil is great for fevers, hot and cold chills, headaches and muscle pain too. For better results I like to wrap myself up in a warm blanket so I can sweat out all the bad going on in my body.
Hi Siobhan, I'm a 50 year old male who's have been suffering digestive problems pretty much all of my life, but which worsened 19 years ago following a bout of 'gastroenteritis'. I have been attending doctors constantly since then, and have been finally diagnosed with coeliac disease plus IBS caused by infection. I possibly always was coeliac, but contracted the IBS following the 'gastroenteritis', which may have been caused by over prescription of anti-inflammatory painkillers (NSAIDS) to treat pain due to injuries sustained when hit by a car 18 months previously. In your profile you have mentioned infertility problems, which tends to make me think that there may be a link to the consumption of gluten, one of the required triggers for coeliac disease but which also has links to polycystic ovaries plus numerous other auto-immunes (see this link to just one of many sites www.natural-hormone-health.com/gluten-intolerance.html). I suggest you have a simple blood test done for coeliac disease/gluten intolerance but also breath gas tests for small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) which Dr Mark Pimental states is a major cause of IBS in his book 'A New IBS Solution', and which he claims to have a 90% cure rate using the 'Cedar-Sinai Protocal'. Note; Do not begin a gluten-free diet until after your test for CD. I have recently found some relief from my symptoms by using Resolor, for gut motility, though not back to normality by any means. I hope I have been of help.
I
I had so much trouble with acid reflux, GERD, and heartburn that I had a fundoplication.  The top of my stomach was stapled to the bottom of my esophagus.  I was okay for only a few months - then the problem came back with a vengeance!  (Don't have the surgery!) I am in pain every night - my stomach is on fire and if I bend over, I "upchuck".   I try to "burp it out".  - I've taken anise, licorice, aloe vera, and many other remedies.  I don't want to take Prilosec anymore as taking it for a long period of time it causes brittle bones  or osteoporosis.  So I keep looking for natural remedies.  Of all the prescriptions the doctor has given me, I appreciate Dicyclomine.  It works almost immediately to relieve this pain.  But, again, I don't want to be dependent on it. -  I will look up the site: refluxdisease.org to see if it can help me too.
hi all, I suffer with the exact same thing im 21years old and only started with the trapped wind in the back of my throat for about a month it is more than likely led to acid reflux as I got told I had it a few years ago I have a lot of trouble sleeping (which isn't good as I have a young son who I have to be up early with) but when I went to my GP he just said it was due to my anxiety and it was all in my head (could be but I really don't think it is) I also get really bad pains in my stomach which feels like im bloated all the time so went to the pharmacist as I couldn't get a doctors appointment and I asked her what was the best thing for acid reflux and she gave me zantec what does work (only took one) but due to my anxiety im very weary and on edge about taking medication it gets me down to and makes me cry cos its very irritating and sometimes my throat burns because of it and I feel sick as well all the time and having acid reflux as well as anxiety and panic attacks isn't a very nice combination im just wondering if theres anything out there whats any better than zantec and keeps it away full time because at this moment in time im willing to take any medication PLEASE HELP!
Ive had reflux for 30 years.  Have you tried reflux medications ?  Antiacid ? I may be asking silly questions but you dont post any actions you've found to be failing you.
No word from you since Jun 27, 2010.   How are you ?
I feel I am not alone after reading your problems. The pain and not being able to get rid of the excrutiating wind bubbles that feel like bricks coming up into your windpipe and throat has the most debilitating affect. I am up in the middle of the night excercising and trying to mobilise the area under my rib cage where the hardest lump of wind gets trapped. If it hits me when I'm driving I have to stop and I can't do anything other than try to get that wind up, sometimes taking hours for it to subside. I suddenly belch like some wild animal but at least some relief comes from that. I started having stomach problems after getting food poisoning from Mussels )don't ever eat them!) when I was 21 (a young 72 now-at least when I'm not attacked by the trapped wind Demon) When I was fourty I started feeling as if I had constant food poisoning and this went on for years until I asked the gastrologist I was under if I could be tested for H Pylori. (bright spark this man as he never thought of it!!) The test was positive so I then went on for four years having 5 eradication treatments with high potency penicilins. God only knows what that all has done to my body. I recently stopped the lamaprazole Zantac as they were doing nothing as I got worse and worse. The nausea is horrible and the lumps of mucous that suddenly come up and the pain makes me feel like my body is slowly dying and one day I am just going to stop breathing when a severe attack of trapped wind occurs. Yes that's how distressing these symptoms are and it makes it worse because nobody seems to know how to stop the trapped wind, pain and roaring waves in the stomach and chest. I can't believe that men can go to the moon and yet the medical profession has absolutely nothing to stop belching and trapped wind which affects our lives so badly.  I must burp a thousand times a day and night. I cant eat or drink as it stops in my ribs like a parcel wrapped in barbed wire. HELP..I WANT TO EAT AND DRINK WATER AGAIN!!!  Remember..get tested for H Pylori as I was told told by a tropical disease doctor that 70% of the worlds population have it. Its mostly carried by water and if you get food poisoning often the bacteria is not totally eradicated and it stays in your body waiting to cause problems later on. Ive tried everything and just don't know what else to do. Healing to everybody who suffers.
Go to www.wayup.com  Look up L-Glutamine, L- Glycine and Magnesium.
It may help. Vern
I have suffered with the occasional abdominal pain maybe about 4 or 5 times a year for about 20 years.first time I had it thought I was having a heart attack, all the doctor did was put it down to scar tissue tearing from an injury!!!!  After going to doctors a couple of times gave up and just learned to live with these occasional bouts of doubled up in agony pain, no relief however you tried to position youself, sometimes only lasting an hour or so somtimes a few days.  This year it has been getting worse a weekly sometimes daily occurence.  This last one lasted a whole 9 days, it felt like my ribs were being crushed, and my back pain was unbearable and the belching and wind and stomach gurgling and grumbling, like others have said even just drinking water causes pain.  I finally had enough and started looking around for something to give me relief after having lived on runny porridge and soup for a week, couldn't even have that the first few days.  I stumbled upon charcoal tablets and after having taken them after every meal for 2 days I am feeling so much better.  sleeping upright also seems to have been beneficial.  I sympathize with all fellow suffers the pain is unbearable and till you have had it its difficult to imagine.
I have been having similar problems. I am 27 and about 2 years ago, I began suffering with acid re-flux. In the beginning it would primarily hit after a large meal particularly when mixed with alcohol or soda. To combat this I would take a Gaviscon or Quikeze or other over the counter antacid. Gradually it got worse and began to occur when I burped, particularly if I was drinking beer or soda. I went to the Dr and was told that reducing meal sizes and some weight loss may reduce the pressure build up and solve the problem. After reducing meal sizes and losing 3 or 4 kgs I didn't notice any significant change although I must admit I would have been about 20kg over weight with my normal weight being 100kg at 6ft2. I thought maybe I was eating the wrong things so returned to the Dr. The Dr asked additional questions this time, tested for h.pylori - result negative, finally was I stressed? The answer being yes, my new job being demanding, he put it down to stress. Suggesting I needed to take Omeprazole (proton pump inhibitor) to reduce the amount of acid I was producing and allow my throat to heal. I was to take 40mg initially and then reduce after 2-4 months to 20mg. The omeprazole worked very effectively to stunt acid production and I thought I would be okay with additional weight loss and diet change. This however was not the case, after two months of taking Omeprazole I reduced the amount I was taking to 20mg and would occassionally skip a day having forgotten. Around this time I began noticing pain around my heart, that would radiate up into my jaw, I went back to the Dr and he said it was likely due to my acid reflux causing my esophageal valve to spasm and that I would need to increase my omeprazole back to 40mg. After doing this I noticed some improvement in the pain around my heart and I had several months where I was ok. However after some time I began to notice a sensation of trapped air that again caused pain that radiated up into my jaw. At night I would have to sit up and rock back and forward to get it to release. This continued on and off depending on what I ate although I struggled to put my finger on exactly what I ate that was causing the problem as it seemed to change,.

After reading numerous internet forums, md journal and natural therapy sites I have come to the assumed conclusion, that it is a combination of many factors that are causing these problems.

I have not completely tested my theories yet but will be, over coming months. I will now go through what I believe were the causes behind symptoms as I progressed from beginning to now.

Theory 1: I was eating poorly, highly acidifying diet according to natural therapies suggests you end up with acid stored in fat that your body can't purge without healthy foods like greens, therefore you produce lots of acid. Alternatively may have also has minor small intestinal bacterial problems due to poor health/antibiotics/stomach bug.
Symptom: Initial acid re-flux.

Theory 2: Was taking antacids after large meals causing improper digestion due to dilution of digestive acid - resulting in gas from fermentation of food in stomach and lower intestine plus chemical reaction of antacid mixed with acid.
Symptom: Increased burping

Theory 3: This is a critical theory which I didn't find till much later. Omeprazole blocks acid production, but your body needs it to digest, consequently your body produces polyps in your stomach to increase perietal cell (acid producer) surface area these polyps can become more easily inflamed and cause a rebound effect when proton pump inhibitors are ceased (have read this in a md journal). Result inflammation around esophageal valve.
Symptom: Sensation of heart pain.

Theory 4: Increased and prolonged use of omeprazole, allows bad bacteria to infiltrate small intestine after surviving minimal protective acid. Result Irritable Bowel Syndrome, bad bacteria cause dramatically increased production of gas due to fermentation of undigested food coming from stomach, also potentially cause Ileocecal valve at junction of small and large intestines to tighten up and stop passing waste as well as colitis (colon inflammation). In combination with polyp ridden, inflamed and misshapen stomach (gastritis) air gets trapped and potentially also causes hiatal hernia, subsequently air gets trapped easier and easier.
Symptom: Severe pain and sensation of air trapped in throat (no doubt due to trapped air stretching inflamed mucosa/stomach lining above level of esophageal valve)

Conclusion: Acidifying foods are bad if not balanced by good foods and exercise and cause acid re-flux. Antacids and Omeprazole should only be a temporary solution due to risk of small intestine bacterial overgrowth and polyps, get your diet quickly and thoroughly under control, (this may include complete halt of all sugars, coffee, chocolate, dairy, wheats (act like sugar), you may experience pain when eating FODMAPS (whole grains, fruits and other such insoluble fibres) these things while ultimately healthy can aggravate your gastritis and colitis instead eat your sweat potato, pumpkin and other soluble fibres or juice veges. Avoid antibiotics which also cause small intestive bactierial overgrowth (SIBO), stomach bugs no doubt can also result in the same problem. Wean off omeprazole to avoid rebound and throat damage. I have just done this it took months dropping 5 mg at a time.

I am now back onto antacids and have noticed much reduced trapped air problem although burping is still ever present. Struggling some days taking 10 antacids or more some days taking only 2 or 3 and am concerned that I could cause damage with each burp of acid. Dr is frustrating, ignores systems caused by omprazole and won't consider anything other than stress induced excess acid production and consequential gastritis but I know the acid isn't causing the gastritis since weaning off omeprazole it has gone, only re-flux has returned.

Over coming months I will be trying to lose all my excess weight and trying natural therapies such as oregano oil capsules, peppermint oil capsules and other such SIBO killing herbs. If this takes care of the IBS and burping I'll know I solved the problem. Other more serious causes could be the problem i.e. hypothyroidism but I'll try those if aforementioned fails.

Watch this space will post here as it is the only place I have found pertaining to acid reflux burping.
Hi any updates with your plan?  Sounds very much like what I'm going through, except I also get heart palpitations with a bloated belly after eating too much sugar/wheat.
Hi are you ok?  No updates since your last endoscopy?