GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Acid reflux and thumping in chest?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Acid reflux and thumping in chest?

Hello all,

I am an 18 year old male, in good shape and not overweight. I've been dealing with frequent acid reflux for a couple years now. And just recently i've been getting what feels like heart palpitations when laying down or sitting. I have had all the heart tests in the book and all have come back absolutely normal. I am now using a heart event monitor and have recorded many of these "heart palpitations" however when calling my doctor I found that not only did the ECG's from those recordings not show any skipped beats it was actually completely normal. So according to the heart event monitor the "heart palpitations" i'm feeling are not heart palpitations at all and are not related to my heart in any way.

When I get these thumps in my chest it scares the sh*t out of me being the hypochondriac in training I am. I can only describe them as a forceful thumping or pulling inside my chest that sometimes hurts or feels irritating on top of just a thump. Its really scary especially since lately its been happening more often. In fact as i'm writing this i've had at least two :( mostly when I take a deep breath.

I was wondering if anybody here experiences the same symptoms with acid reflux? Could this be what is causing the thumping in my chest? Maybe its my esophagus twitching in response to the acid coming in contact with it?
Vegas Nerve:Either of the tenth and longest of the cranial nerves, passing through the neck and thorax into the abdomen and supplying sensation to part of the ear, the tongue, the larynx, and the pharynx, motor impulses to the vocal cords, and motor and secretory impulses to the abdominal and thoracic viscera. Also called pneumogastric nerve. The acid could be irratating your vegas nerve causing you to get these sensations. Some people even have fainting episodes from this.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/vagus-nerve#ixzz1HYA6FMU2
Gastro Tracker
Gastro
RubyWitch I am no longer accepting HI... Comment
Listeria Risk Triggers Huge Frozen ...
6 hrs ago by gymdandee
zouzi commented on Please be aware of th...
May 02