GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Acid reflux

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Acid reflux

I have had been told by my Specialist at the ENT clinic that i have Acid Reflux!
Personally myself i do not believe this, as reading the Symptoms i do not suffer with any!

1: Is it possible to have Acid Reflux without heart burn?
2: Is it possible to have Acid reflux without the bitter / sour taste?

I can get the feeling of a little lump at the back of the throat which is more irritated by talking for a more prolonged period of time in a higher tone of voice.
If i had Acid reflux why is the talking irritating it and not the Acid?

Hi, yes...there is one type called silent reflux...no heartburn!

Symptoms of Laryngopharyngeal Reflux are:

Continual throat clearing
Chronic throat irritation
Chronic cough
Hoarseness
Excessive phlegm the throat
Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)
Constant sensation of something in the throat
Swallowed food comes back up
Post nasal drainage
Weak voice
Cracking voice
Blockage of the breathing passage
Spasm of the larynx (voice box)
Wheezing
Heartburn
This condition is a result of both UES and LES not working correctly.
And it is possible not to have typical gerd/acid reflux  symptoms
Not everyone will have all the symptoms, just one or 2.....

What u will want to try, is to elevate the head of ur bed...6 ".....so u lie on an incline....do not lie down for 3 to 4 hrs after eating.....chew gum, after eating and btwn meals....

Avoid dairy products later in the day.

See if u have ne changes.....

When u lie flat the acids can move u as far as ur vocal cords...this is why ur voice is affected...if u elevate the bed, gravity works with u to keep them at bay.

"selma"
Selma,

many Thanks for contributing the time in writing all the information above which is more than i was told at my ENT clinic.

I may suffer a little Blockage of nasal passage at night on occassions.
Other than that i suffer with nothing and it is more of a sensation as if you press your finger against your throat which is more of a painful sensation, not that it hurts that much but the longer i may talk with a higher tone of voice the more it feels like something in the vocal cords is swelling, once i stop talking, after a while this will ease off.
it appears that there is something in the vocal cords being irritated by talking a little louder.

I had a scan drinking 4 bottles of barium which they stated showed nothing, i think from their point of view they spent enough.
The first approach from the specialist was

1: YOU DO NOT DRINK!
2: YOU DO NOT SMOKE!

So i would not worry, she did not want to do any test what so ever.... therefore you find it hard to believe the doctors are they focus on cutting back on costs.
I was just given Omeprazole 20mg & 3 large bottles of Gaviscon advance for to take for 6 weeks. while taking the tablet Omeprazole they tell you not to take with any other indigestion remedies,? Why give me Gaviscon ???

Cliff  

U do not want to take an array of meds as that would be counter productive too much of nething is never good.

Gaviscon...not sure y that particular product unless the dr has had good results with it with others with similar symptoms to urs.

There r many reasons u could have developed this issue...it can happen after the flu, after a increase in stress, or after a course of antibiotics or other meds.

Diet and lifestyle modification is the best way to help aid the meds.

"selma"
Many Thanks for keeping in touch,

personally i know the Dr gave me all this as he had no other excuse in which to get rid of me from his office after giving me a scan he did not want to spend any more money and waste more time.

I had no intention on taking any of the medication & gaviscon as i do not believe the doctor, but thought maybe i better take it as if i stated in my next appointment i did not he may state... well what is the point in coming here if you are not going to do what i advise you and he may not do any more.

It makes more sense to me from the very begining why he just did not give me a straight forward Endoscopy,

I have not had the Flu in three years!
Aug 2010 i first encountered this problem!
I have been under a little stress this year but all this started before the stress occurred.

Selma i would like to thankyou for keeping in touch as i have learned a lot from you also you have been the only member to respond to my post...if you do not mind me asking ....

Are you a Nurse?

regards  

Cliff