Apple Cider Vinegar
I have not seen ACV mentioned in the forum but read many rave reviews on the web. I have a history of gas attacks but managed for years with rolaids. Over the last year it got worse and over the holidays I was in the ER twice, thought I was dying. I had a barium swallow and small bowel follow through that was negative except for indications of a small hiatal hernia. I've tried prilosec, zantac, pepcid etc and all help but none that well.

I just got apple cider vinegar and have used it a couple times. My results were questionable but I'll keep trying. Just wondered what others thing about ACV or other holistic approaches
Hi...it has been a topic in the past and recently on Dr Oz, he said it does not work as u r adding more acid to ur system...unless ur problem is too little acid....

Did u have a PH test to see if ur issue was too much or too little acid, bcuz u would have the same symptoms.

"selma"
I would definitely say my acid reflux problem grew over the years and got really bad recently because of too much acid. I drank a lot of carbonated drinks and other high acid foods. Since then I have modified my diet greatly, but have not had a pH test. I doubt I have gone in the other direction of too little acid but will ask my dr about the test.

My biggest problem is that I can seem to correlate reflux attacks and gas attacks with anything. Sometimes they come after eating but other times in the early am when it has been 10 hrs since I ate anything. I get better for no apparent reason, then worse for no apparent reason. Very frustrating and depressing.
Has ur dr done testing to see the root of ur reflux...ie- hiatal hernia or PND?

I understand, sometimes I had a problem just drinking water....I had testing and I do have a hiatial hernia..

Have u been to a GI dr lately?

"selma"
The tests I have had were to rule out more serious things like some kind of blockage. I have not been to a GI doc. I hear the pH tests can be done yourself with strips? As for the hiatal hernia, I apparently have a small one but I thought they were caused by the gerd rather than the other way around?

Right now I am 24 hrs symptom free. There should be a way to do another 24 hrs and then another 24 hrs if I could just find it. By the way, I have since read some negative stuff about apple cider vinegar that makes me inclined not to use it again. I am taking ginger root capsules though.
U may want to get on the live chat for gerd...the info on how to sign up and the date and time is on  a thread at the top of this forum.....if u sign up u can post a question in advance to have the Dr answer during the chat.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/GERD-Acid-Reflux/GERD-HEARTBURN--HEALTH-CHAT--REGISTER-NOW/show/1181506

The Dr that is in an expert forum here on MH also talks about using a chiro that can manipulate the hernia into a diff position to relieve much of the issues associated with the Hernia.....

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/GERD-Acid-Reflux/show/200

"selma"