GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
At the end of my ropes

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

At the end of my ropes

Hello am a 43 year old woman, height 5"3 weight 118 and still losing. About a year ago I was diagnosed forthwith acid reflux and it seems like it's getting worst. I have been to the ER so many times they know me when I walk in the door. I have had pain in my chest for the last three days. I went to the ER and they can't find nothing wrong. But I am in pain and I don't know what to do but cry. Please help me if you can...Can my esophagus be so damaged that, that's what's causing the constant pain. I take 20mg omeprazole twice a day, and just recently they gave me a prescription for zanta 150mg. When I go to the ER they give me a GO cocktail and that don't work anymore. I be in so much pain it won't even let me sleep. What do you think

Hi and welcome to the GERD forum.

May I ask, have u modified ur diet and lifestyle? It is important to avoid foods and bevs that will trigger these symptoms meds alone can not help if u continue to eat and drink foods that add to the problem. Greasy, spicy, acidic foods, carbonated bevs and caffeine, and alcohol.

In addition u need to try and relax as stress will add to the problems as well....do not eat for 3 to 4 hrs b4 laying down, try and eat more meals a day but smaller ones so the acid that is building up has a job to do.....

Elevate the head of ur bed to use gravity to keep acids down where then belong and help avoid damage to ur throat .

For more info and tips see the Health Pages- http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=236
Hello yes I have changed my diet for eating something to almost not eating at all. I don't drink sodas, haven't had tea in years, don't like coffee, the only fruits I eat is watermelon, cantaloupe, sometimes grapes and strawberries. I have always ate healthy. I like salads without tomatoes. I drink water all the time. Don't drink alcohol. Spicy foods have been out of my life for about a year and 7 months. I have pretty much stop eating altogether. I don't eat after 6:00pm and if I do its because I didn't eat during the day, but it is always something lite and even then it's a few nibbles. I pretty much sleep in a up right position. With lots of pillows to support my head. This is one of the reasons I am so small.

Not eating will also not help as ur stomach will produce the acids as ur stomach indicates u r hungry....and if no food is there to break down u will feel worse, so eat small meals 4 to 5 a day....this will use up that excess acid and u should begin to feel better....but not eating will not help, only in making u feel worse...so eat!!

Find a protein drink to get the nutrition u need until u r eating properly. Find a nutritionist to help u.
My doctor told me that also, Thanks I will try the protein drink and eat small meals and see how that goes.
You may have a problem with your ability to swallow.  I'm not a health professional, but if the food isn't moving down the tube, so to speak, you can experience the pain you are expressing.  It may not have a thing to do with digestion.  You might ask your doctor about having what is called a Motility test.
My wife has been suffering a lot with this issue. After being on Tacta and Nexium for a while, she started to have limited results. And the pain continued. Also being on Nexium she started to develop joint pain. Apparently Nexium is known to interfere with calcium absorption.

What has helped my wife:

- diet modification, green drinks, cabbage and carrot juice mixed, sauerkraut is very alkaline for the stomach.

- look up DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice root and PepzinGI on Amzon. After started both of these natural items my wife could eat many things and started to gain some weight that she lost. I am very thank full to the Dr. OZ show for this. Dr. Andre Weil was on the show and he suggested DGL which led me to Pepzin! Apparently in Japan they prescribe PepZin and not the traditional prescription antacids or PPI's.

I sincerely can relate to your problem as I have seen my wife suffer a lot with this issue. I think my wife's problem stemmed from using Advil liqud gel for her migraines.  Today if she uses Advil her stomach goes "helter skelter" and the pain is back. Please avoid Advil if possible. Advil is a good anti-inflammatory for people who can stomach it.

Above suggestions by others are very good also.

Wish you the very best!

PM
I am so, so sorry you're going through this. I am too. I am 37 years and down to 108 lbs (from a usually healthy 125 lbs). I have made absolutely every lifestyle change possible. I have never drank tea, coffee or pop. I am (was) and endurance athlete and have an immaculate diet. I eat none of the known trigger foods. I sleep with my bed elevated, do not eat within 3 - 4 hours of lying down, wear loose fitting clothing, do not bend over, etc. etc. I eat tiny meals, chew thoroughly and never let my belly be completely empty for any period of time. If one more person tells me to try lifestyle changes I might lose it! I have been on both Losec and Nexium. Both worked for about two weeks and then my symptoms came back even worse. I have tried supplementing with both Tums and Gaviscon - with zero effect. I have gone from being a happy person three months ago to being incredibly depressed. The doctors have no answers other than "lifestyle and medication", which they acknowledge is not working. I'm right there with you and I'm sorry you're going through this. My only recommendation is to keep pushing to see the best specialists, have your doctor explore complementary medicine approaches and be your own advocate.

From what I can tell, there really is no treatment protocol beyond lifestyle and medication - other than the rather complex LINX (fairly new, as I understand it) and Nissen Fundloplication surgery - which I understand can have serious complications, may or may not work and has a low rate of efficacy in patients who do not respond well to PPIS.

Like you, I'm desperate! I hope you get some relief. I don't even know how to get through the next three hours, let alone the weekend.
You said everything I have heard that's very annoying from people who don't seem to understand this pain. I think that's the only solution they can find is change your diet. What is the best diet next don't eat.  Lol thank you for understanding
I understand what she is feeling, sometimes things work and then it comes back worst then before. Everyone ie giving me all the stuff I have heard or already do. Hope and pray that your wife finds relief from this whatever it is that they don't seem to know how to treat. Thank you for the comfort.
Thanks I will ask my doctor about that.
This might sound weird or maybe its something but maybe somebody can help me with this. About two weeks ago I posted about the problem I was having. And like I said for three days I  had pain none stop. Then I started my time of the month and the pain stopped. And it haven't come back. Except for the usual chest pain from acid reflux and the center back pain. Could that mean anything serious or what. And I had a doctor's appointment appointment and he didn't find nothing as usual.

Many times as our body prepares for our monthly cycle we bloat, that bloat is worse some months and some may have to do with our diet....we may eat something that causes more water retention then normally so more bloating which can put pressure on our GI track....just a thought.

U may want to keep a journal of what u eat and how u feel and track ur cycle with in all of it to see if it could be diet related.....