Barium sulfate drink for CT scan
I have to drink barium sulfate for an abdominal/pelvic CT scan. I am on Prevacid 15 mg for GERD and gastritis. I've heard barium sulfate is acidic which will make me sick, but I need the CT scan to locate an object. Does anyone have any advice of how they were able to tolerate it easier, or used an alternative, or if there's a brand with less ingredients? My stomach has already been acting up this week and I'm scared that this will make it much worse. What should I do after the exam? I've heard it's not good to eat food or you might get nauseated? Is there a way to avoid the nausea? How long should I wait, and when is it safe to take the Prevacid?
Hi..I had the swollow study done and had to injest the barium as well....it did not make me ill, but did take time until I was able to eliminate it from my system. I was told to drink plenty of water.

Speak with the dr that conducts the testing and he/she can suggest what u might do to avoid an issue.

Good luck and please post an update

"selma"