GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Barretts Disease

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Barretts Disease

I was diagnosed with Barretts Disease about one month ago.  I had no symptons and was shocked when the doctor told me it was Barretts which was found thru a routine endoscopy/colonoscopy.  I am taking omperazole 40 mg daily.   I now am experiencing sore throat and stiffness in my jaw.  Could this be a result of Barretts?  I fear the medicine is not working and the disease is progressing and might turn to cancer.  Please help.
I just had a surgical procedure to stop the progression of Barrett's Esophagus disease, which was very successful.  My symptom of acid reflux was a problem with my voice and also my teeth were starting to lose enamel.  I had very occasional painful moments in my chest, which were confusing as I'm a heart patient (three heart attacks, eight stents, a pacemaker).  Acid Reflux doesn't always cause lots of pain.  

Were you experiencing the sore throat and stiffness in the jaw before the Endoscopy?  That could very well be a result of the procedure, not the disease.    

Give the medicine a chance, and also I suggest you watch your diet.  If you have the means or insurance, I'd suggest you make an appointment with a dietician to discuss how you can minimize acid reflux.  Keep in mind, the progression of Barretts to active cancer is experienced in a very small percentage of people.  Were you given a degree of risk?  Were you given a timeline for your next endoscopy?  

The C word worries us all greatly and with good reason, but I'm betting in your case you are experiencing symptoms from the procedure.  I'd suggest being proactive with dietary and medication attention.  Best wishes and keep us informed.  

Gastro Tracker
Gastro
musicfem joined this community
Welcome them!
ChitChatNine enjoying fall-like weather ! Comment
Sep 25