GERD (Acid Reflux) Expert Forum
Barrett's Esophagus

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Barrett's Esophagus
I was recently diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus without dysplasia and H Pylori and was put on 2 weeks of prevpak, followed by long term nexium.  I am averse to long term medications, but I am concerned about further damage and/or cancer of the esophagus.  Is there any way to reverse the Barrett's?

Can I avoid the nexium by using any nutrients or diet.
I would not stop the nexium, never ever. You have Barretts oesophagus. No change in diet will rid you of it,it is a structural change, you need to prevent it from changing futher . Barretts is usually caused by the oesophagus being washed over a long long period by stomACH  acid. The nexium reduces the amount of acid your stomach produces, and hopefully prevents the damage progressing. there are procedures that can burn the Barrets away, but because of the risks involved , it is only ever considered when you have Barretts with dysplasia. Even with this treatment you will have to continue Nexium . I have a pre Barrets condition. I have also seen Barrets and oesophageal cancers in the endoscopy unit i used to work in. Believe me I will not be stopping my nexium.

NB. not many years ago the only treatment for Barretts Oesophagus was oesophagectomy, which is major, major surgery. Tablets is a much better and safer option.
I presume you are on Prevpak for H.Pylori