GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Bile reflux

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Bile reflux

Hi, my husband has been diagnosed wit Bile Reflux after making a gastroscopy. Doctor said that there is nothing you can do about it. When he eats, he has got this irritating feeling and he does not feel good after he eats. he burps a lot - a sign that he swallows a lot of air. But burping does not relieve him. Is bile reflux dangerous? can it cause a lot of harm? and please does anyone know how he can prevent it?  at this moment he is taking some nexium tablets (although we believe that they dont help since they work for acid reflux ) and motilium (30mg a day). i really need to know what can we do to prevent it or at least do not let things get words. he does not throw up, no consitipation and no bleeding.

Thanks to all in advance.
Hi...bringing up stomach acids into the upper UES can cause damage and over a long period of time it can develop into a serious health issue.

Acid reflux, also commonly referred to as GERD (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease), occurs when stomach liquids are able to rise up through the esophagus sphincter into the esophagus (the tube that connects your throat and your stomach). Because of the mixture of digestive components secreted in the stomach, such as hydrochloric acid and pepsin, the sensitive lining of the esophagus can be damaged, causing a burning sensation.
It's this burning sensation that most people associate with acid reflux.

Bile reflux occurs when the digestive fluid produced by your liver (bile) rises up from your small intestine through the pyloric value into your stomach, and then from your stomach into your esophagus. Bile reflux and acid reflux often go hand-in-hand, occurring together, which is why bile reflux is often overlooked. Unlike acid reflux, however, it will often cause stomach pain (gastritis).

The Causes Behind Bile Reflux

The primary cause behind bile reflux is damage to the pyloric valve. This can occur in several different ways; however it's most commonly the result of surgery. For instance, one of the side effects of gallbladder surgery can be bile reflux. In addition, it's not unusual for someone who's gone through gastric surgery (such as the complete removal of their stomach or a gastric bypass) to develop bile reflux. In all these instances, the condition is a result of damaging the pyloric valve.

A peptic ulcer can also be a contributing factor. This happens when the ulcer obstructs the pyloric valve, restricting its ability to close properly. In rare instances, chronic constipation can also result in bile reflux.
Finally, recent research has demonstrated that the use of proton-pump inhibitors (PPIs) in treating acid reflux actually increased the occurrences of bile reflux. The reason for this result isn't fully understood, but it does help explain why some people on PPIs don't appear to show a reduction of their acid reflux episodes.
Thank you Selma. very good explanation... Hope that my husband's situation will not worsen... he's taking motilium and it's helping.  thanks again
No worries..please keep me posted.

I am sending prayers he feels better soon : )

"selma"
71 years I've had reflux - the last 35, bile reflux.

1 to 2 cups of ice cream during an attack and I get total relief within 20 minutes.

Frozen yoghurt does not work - any flavour seems to work ... no laying down.

Ain't it 'orrid?

Pass it on.
I would suggest checking with the GI dr first...bcuz if the person has reflux as a result of a slow LES dairy will only slow it down further...and not be advisable.....

Keep in mind there r diff types of reflux and GERD...and we all have diff triggers..so what works for one, may not work for someone else.

Glad to hear this works for u : )

"selma"
Gastro Tracker
Gastro
Joel78 is frustrated, aching, tire... Comment
May 26
christineyvette Derealization is the WORST Comment
May 26
Joel78 commented on Jzabs's status
May 25