GERD (Acid Reflux) Expert Forum
Breathing Problems with GERD esophagus
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Breathing Problems with GERD esophagus

Looking for possible GERD- esophagus disorders that could effect breathing.

Me: having almost constant mild breathing problem, no weezing, no hypervenaltion, just a sickness feeling that makes breathing harder, does not bother me during sleep, chest pain sometimes.
25 yr male. Do have gerd-, small sliding hitial hernia, lots of burping, mucus in throat, reguratation of some food sometimes, mostly burping, and musucs coming up. have esophagus spasms, chest pain, sometimes back pain

Barium x-ray showed hernia, but no reflux. clean lung xray, ct scan w contrast, good pulm function test w -w-o broncodialters, gd ekg, stress test, and all the blood test for heart problems. clean blood otherise (other normal tests)

I dont cough or choke at night, bed raised 6"

Have had this problem for 1 year (breathing), sometimes goes away, cant find any triggers, asking to see if any gerd- esophagus disorders could produce my symptons. Can still run a mile. Just harder to breathe, and dont even want to talk sometimes, because its hard.

thanks
Related Discussions
Hi,
GERD can cause respiratory symptoms by either due to aspiration or due to a nerve mediated reflex.
A course of PPI might be helpful.
Weight reduction if obese, avoiding alcohol, citrus, spicy food, coffee would be helpful.
3 Comments
Blank
Asthma is related to GERD because some of the reflux can be aspirated into your lungs. This is going to irritate your lungs and cause you to have trouble breathing.  You need to get that GERD under control.
Blank
I'vwe had this for the past 10 months and the connection to GERD was only made 6 months ago after every test under the sun for heart disease came back normal, except for a T-Wave abnormality that they can't work out. I've even had a sestamibi scan that came back completely clear. I just had an endoscopy and I have gastritis with Intestinal Metaplasia, as well as oesophagitis which confirms the GERD, but also seems to explain the breathlessness, cough and hoarseness. I'm told gastritis can cause bloating and I think this is what casues my breathessness, as it feels like there is intense pressure on the diaphragm, similar to the kind of breathlessness you get at the end of a pregnancy when the baby pushes up on the diaphragm. If I can find out how to resolve the gastritis, I think it might really help the breathlessness. My dr wasn't much help on that front I'm afraid. I have been on Nexium 40mg for 6 months, which relieves the burning but it does nothing for the other symptoms and obviously hasn't helped the gastritis. I know this post doesn;t offer a sloution, but at least a clue as to what might be causing it might help.
Blank
A related discussion, GERD or LPR was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank