Breathing difficulty from GERD / Hiatus Hernia
I am a 66 yr old female recently diagnosed with GERD and Hiatus Hernia.   The treatment seems to be simple enough ie raise the head of my bed by the height of 2 bricks and nothing to eat or drink after supper.  Supper should be at least 3 hours prior to retiring.  And lose 13 kgs!   I have noticed an amazing difference since implementing this regime, I have stopped coughing at night and have had better sleep over the past week than I have had in the last 9 months.   The big problem I'm now struggling with is my breathing.   I seem to be continually having to take long, deep breaths and / or yawn, just to get the feeling of air into my lungs.   Can this be caused by the hernia pushing on the diaphragm?   I have had an ECG and Lung Function Tests, both of which came up normal, so it's not a heart problem or malfunctioning lungs.   The feeling I get is that there is "something" obstructing the diaphragm - can you help me please, hopefully with a diagnosis and also with a treatment plan?  Many thanks.  "Grannyannie07"
Hi....I also have a hiatal hernia and I notice breathing issues when I am bloated...mostly if my IBS is flaring up....do u have these issues as well?

Where the hernia is can also affect how u feel and there are a few schools of thought on this...some feel a chiropractor can move it ...I am not sure if this works , but something u may want to ask ur GI dr.

Take a good look at ur elimination as well.

"selma"
Hi....no, I dont have IBS.  But my stomach is often bloated from the diaphragm down, that's why I am sure the hiatus hernia is responsible for the breathing difficulties.   I've also wondered whether anxiety may play a role??   Like, the more one struggles to get deep breaths, the more anxious one becomes, and so on and so on......    The Chiropractor route is certainly worth considering.   In our town we have an amazing Chiropractor who has pointed many people in the right direction with various presenting problems, with great success.  Thanks for that thought...........I may well approach him. Will keep you posted.   "Grannyannie07"
Yes, anxiety can play into this....yeah it can create a vicious cycle too.

Good luck and do be sure he is well trained with these issues....not that he /she experiments on u.

Good luck
"selma"
I agree re the Chiro. I must tell you this about him tho.   For years and years my husband suffered with dizziness. He couldnt look up, he couldnt get up from a sitting or lying position without getting very dizzy.   Went from doctor to doctor and to whom he believed was a wonderful chirop (!)  This particular person always did a pull / push routine which my husband thought was helping.  But the dizziness always returned.  Eventually I persuaded him to see MY chirop.   After a lengthy consultation during which he meticulously listened he had his radiographer take x-rays.  They revealed no problem re bones etc.   He said he would try some manipulation, but he didnt think it would work. Honest guy hey?!   What he DID say, was that he felt it was a problem which could possibly be solved by an ENT man.... after 2 unsuccessful treatments by the chiro, we decided to give the ENT chap a try.   BINGO!!!   After listening to my man's story, he diagnosed Benign Paroxsysmal Positional Vertigo.  (Chrystals in the ear).   A simple but very drastic and traumatic procedure was carried out in his rooms and altho my husband felt really nauseous and airsick for 2 days afterwards, since then he has been 100%!!!    And all thanks to a wonderful Chiropractor who gave us excellent advice.   He has our undying gratitude because it has given my dear husband a whole new lease on life!!  
I know all too well about the breathing thing. It is porb the worst complication of gerd.

Since you did have coughing, you def had gerd getting up there.

Your problem, is prob the heria, along with the gerd in general. The diet will help. What helped me was to sleep in a reclier for a couple weeks. Its not the best, but if you do this and your breathing problem goes away, you can attrbute it to the gerd coming up at night.

another thing I will highly suggest is the diet. another thing is no use of alchaol or tobacco.

I am only 25, can run miles no problem. But when my breathing was bad, I honestly felt like I might not live till the next day, it was that bad. I even had like 20 lung function tests, better than perfect on all them.

In my opinion, the cause is the herina on the diapram, along with the gerd causing spams, effecting the nerves, sore thoat, nose congestion ect.

That's so helpful to know, thanks.   I dont smoke, but do have a g and t every evening at 5.30.   Maybe I should cut that out too.   Will try it.    I dont drink fizzy drinks at all, neither do I drink coffee,   Only have 1 cup of herbal tea at breakfast, then water for the rest of the day.    I am looking at my diet as well.    And sure if I lose weight (I need to shed 7kgs) that too will help.   You mentioned throat and nose probs.  Qute agree,  Saw my ENT yesterday and he says that sinus and p/nasal probs cause probs right at the beginning of the oesophagus.........so I am now on Flexinase Nasules - he says it will most likely be "for ever"....!!!!  With all this help, I can only start to feel better!!
As with all drs do research on each and everyone...they r human and make mistakes and can have the I don't care attitude as well...find one with a good rep and one u feel comfortable with.

So glad to hear u found a DX for ur DH and he is doing so well !