GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
CAN ACID REFLUX CAUSE HEART PALPITATIONS?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

I have been wondering for the past few months if my sudden heart palpitations are caused by this acid reflux that I have. I have done two ECG's , blood tests for cardiac arrest. Everything came back normal. I notice that everytime this GERD acts up i feel like my heart is racing. Also, in the back of my neck. My doctor said it is anxiety. But I told him that I feel relaxed sometimes and it keeps me awake at nights. So he gave me Frisium to help me sleep.

Please tell me if any of you are feeling the same.

Thanks. {Peace and Love}
Caused by? No. Association? Possibly. If there's something going on with your vagus nerve (anxiety being a possibility) then it might slow digestion down, causing heartburn. It might also cause the heart, which is partially controlled by the vagus nerve, to palpitate.

The heart has a portion which serves as a backup battery that tries to jump start the heart if it "thinks" the heart is stopping or not beating right for some reason. If this part fires off inappropriately you might feel a palpitation. Some people are more sensitive to this than others. This is especially common with people who have anxiety.

I probably butchered that explanation but hopefully it makes some sort of non-idiotic sense. At any rate, if you've been tested and are OK, it's nothing to worry about. But yes, there's certainly room for an association.
HI It is also possible that u may have an issue with ur thyroid...do get a complete check up by ur dr.....

"selma"
Yes reflux can trigger a heart response.  I used to get tachycardia all the time.  It was so bad one day I had a mild heart attack from vasospasm.

Then I figured out I have food allergies - notably to anything containing sulfites, also to true allergy things like tree nuts.

At the direction of an allergist, I kept a log of all foods I ate and my reactions an hour and two hours later.  Then I did challenge testing with each ingredient in the trigger foods.  My list was really weird: gelatin, chocolate, maple syrup, cheese, pork, wine or beer, jams and jellies, dried fruit ...  They ALL contain sulfites!

Since avoiding these foods I no longer have reflux or tachycardia.  My gastroenterologist doesn't believe it, but my allergist does.
Do you know if 70% dark  chocolate contains sulphites?  should it be listed under the ingredients?
Your comments are really interesting, as I have serious heart palps, nothing can be found,  but I also cannot eat those things you mentioned.!!!!   Also though wheat and sugar rob me of all strength until I can only sit down.
I think you are on the correct trail,  the problems we have are probably not the actual foods,but the stuff  supermarkets pour into them.  These probems   seem to have been around for as long as the Supermarkets, all unexplained and horrible, frightening symptoms.    
it is a definite yes. allow me to share my ordeal.
i am asian, male of 37.
I am suffering from "Stomach problem" for about 2 months. Doc dx as Gerb. But i am planned for a scope next week.  i amwondering if there is some bug inside (hp) that cause this problem.
So smart alex of me bought a manuka 16+ honey and after consuming it for one night, I got heart "pounding" for as long as i can remember until today!!! HELP!!!
Worst it interfere in my sleep!!!
I assure many of you out there yourheart is probably working fine!!!.
I am very sure it is things that we consume.
So as you can see, i try to cure my reflux usingtthe socalled manuka honey, yet it made me even more sick.
I am NOT going to get anything OVER the counter, i believe in my DOC now.