GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
CHOKING SENSATION

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

CHOKING SENSATION

I have had GERD for almost 10 years now,,no medication works. i was told i have Globus..but its only on oneside,,,i am thinking if having the operation for upper sphincter would fix it??...also 23mm lymph node was found could that cause the choking feeling? i have enough test and have given up!! please help
My mother was diagnosed with globus. She actually had an intolerance to dairy. When she stopped all dairy "globus" went away. Your lymph node may be causing the problem. Also, symptoms of magnesium deficiency include gagging or choking sensations from spasms in your esophagus. Magnesium deficiency is a warning on proton pump inhibitors (eg; nexium, prilosec).

My mother's doctor kept upping the nexium dosage and eventually it stopped working altogether. The problem was my mother's stomach acid was severely low.  She increased her stomach acid with betaine HCI with pepsin supplements (Nature's Own Protein Digestive Aid), helped her digestion with digestive enzymes (currently taking metagenics vegetarian digestive enzymes) and within weeks the GERD, LPR had resolved and over a year later 95% improved with gastritis.  

She also had a hiatus hernia interestingly enough with no problems. She still takes enzyme with every meal but betaine HCI with pepsin only with protein meals. Some people can stop eventually with this supplement as the betaine retrains the stomach to produce it's own acid. My mother needs to keep taking it however.

Excerpt from Dr Jockers article "Beat acid reflux naturally"...

"The most common risk factors for GERD include anything that obstructs the esophagus or stomach region such as hiatal hernia, pregnancy, and scleroderma. Other proven risk factors include obesity, smoking, and alcohol usage. Many prescription medications list GERD as a common side effect so this should always be considered.

The popular belief is that acid reflux is due to an excessive amount of hydrochloric acid in the stomach. New science has revealed that this is not the case. GERD is most often caused by too little hydrochloric acid being secreted by the stomach.

During digestion the stomach secretes acid to lower its pH to around 1.5-2.5 range. More protein in the meal results in a greater need for stomach acid. Individuals with non-obstructive acid reflux are often not able to get their pH low enough. The LES is known to be a pH sensitive valve that initiates closure when pH drops under 3.0. When the stomach does not have enough acid, the LES remains open and acid can spill into the esophageal region and damage the tissue."

thankyou so much. i was taking magnesium tablets cos i read it somewhere, i stopped cos i was on the SOMAC and wanted to see what happens...no drug for acid reflux works for me so, i think i might ask for a blood test for magnesium and i was told i am lactose intolerant years ago, thank you so much for your info about mum xx
Hi my name is Marcus I'm 26 years of age. And I'm suffering from acid reflex and also I have a choking feeling it feels like the food comes back up and chokes me. And also the thing that dosent make it any better is I have a bad case of anxiety I also suffer from my whole life. Is there Any thing I can do for that choking Feeling to go away  it scares me really bad and I panic. I don't have medical insurance either. So I would like to know some tips I can I do to treat it myself or arlest control it. Let me know please thanks. Please let me know
Not sure, but you can also look up laryngospasms and see if the description fits.