GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Can I take Ranitidine twice a day on top of 20 mg Omeprazole?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

I have had gastritis for several years now. A few years ago my doctor put me on 75 mg Ranitidine to take twice a day before meals. A couple years ago he also put me on 20 mg Omeprazole to take once a day for 14 days, after which he said I could start taking the Ranitidine again if i still had the heartburn.

Now, two years later my gastritis symptoms have come back (heartburn and nausea), and I read somewhere that I can take omeprazole AND ranitidine on the same day (but not the same time) so I've been taking the 20 mg Omeprazole in the am before breakfast and a 75mg ranitidine in the pm before dinner, which has worked quiet well.

However, the heartburn and nausea comes back 2-3 hours after lunch, so I was wondering whether I can take the 75 mg ranitidine before lunch too (on top of the 20 mg Omeprazole before breakfast and 75 mg ranitidine before dinner)?????

Can anyone please help????

Hi and welcome to the GERD forum.

We are not Drs, and this is a support forum...questions about ur meds should be directed to ur Dr....Keep in mind that u should be on a modified diet and lifestyle to aid the meds.....and there r some vitamins and minerals that can be depleted from these meds so make sure ur Dr is monitoring those and has u on appropriate supplements.

Keep a journal of what u r eating, many times it could be that...and if u have a lot of  stress u have to try to eliminate it...try diff methods of relaxation.

Thank you for the advice, selmaS. Yes, I have been watching my diet for the past week now, when the gastritis started again, and been keeping a journal of what I'm eating, what meds i'm taking and when I'm taking them. One thing I know for sure is that I CANNOT eat my meals late...esp in the morning..I found that it has to be exactly 30 mins after I take my meds (if it goes over to an hour later, that's not good already). Also no spicy food and no greasy food (so that means no more fried chicken and no more fries for me :( )

I have never wanted to try Yoga, but i'm starting to think maybe I should try it. how useful is it really in terms relaxing the body and mind?

I made an appt to see my doctor for Thursday morning, just to make sure that I don't have H Pylori bacteria (I never did have it, but just checking again since it has been a couple years since my last check) and then ask her whether my prilosec/ranitidine dosage needs to be increased.

I am just so tired of dealing with gastritis....I wish I could just cure it completely!
I m a guy strugglin with this gastritis thing... Sure *****... From what I know, its just as the other member told u, take the "dosage issue" directly with your doctor. However, if you donĀ“t want to wait, I can share with you what I have come to understand.

Ranitidine works best on a "need to need" basis... I mean, just when symptoms come striking back, you get them with Ranitidine.

Omeprazole is a PPI, I think it is somewhat stronger to treat Gastritis. It is actually what they give you to ERRADICATE the condition, once it appears.

Try hanging in there with just one of the medications. The most powerful treatment for gastritis, GERD, ibs... or whatever... will always be

DIET + EXERCISE (whatever exersise calms you best)... for me, its the gym and basketball... for you, could be yoga, or whatever u like.