GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Can Prilosec cause diarrhea and heart palpitations?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Can Prilosec cause diarrhea and heart palpitations?

I have been on Prilosec OTC for 4 months now.  Immediately after starting prilosec I started getting very loose stools...and have not had a normal one since.  I cut the dose down to a 1/2 a pill a day.

On October 31, I started developing heart palpitations, which sent me to the ER.  I then followed up wth a cardiologist and had a 30 day event heart monitor put on as well as a stress/echo.  I am awaiting results, but it has been over 3 weeks now.  

Anyway, I am curious if anyone know about these symptoms?  It makes sense that diarrhea would/could deplete the vitamins in the body thus cause heart palpitations.

I'm so desperate, none of the Drs seem to be concerned.  Even my Gastroenterologist was like "hmmm, well you can stop your prilosec", but you are FINE, everything is fine.

Thank you.
Susan
Related Discussions
620923_tn?1393294254
Prilosec OTC Delayed-Release Capsules
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Prilosec OTC Delayed-Release Capsules:

Diarrhea; gas; headache; nausea; stomach pain; vomiting.

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Prilosec OTC Delayed-Release Capsules:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); bone pain; chest pain; dark urine; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; severe diarrhea; severe stomach pain or cramps; swelling of the hands, ankles, or feet; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual tiredness; vision changes; yellowing of the eyes or ski
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
GERD (Acid Reflux) Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...