GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Can hormonal imbalance cause heartburn and indigestion?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

The only time in my life i have experienced heartburn was 24 yrs ago when pregnant with my daughter. All of a sudden in July 2011 i started getting heartburn and indigestion which at first i thought something i ate out of the ordinary but the symptoms wont go away. I went to family doctor they prescribed Prilosec which i took for a week with no difference if anything it was worse with pain in my chest. I called the dr and they called in a prescription for Protonic which i took for about a week or 2 with no relief. I went back to the dr. They did an endoscopy and  found irritation from reflux.  No matter what I eat it happens. I was so miserable. I called them back to tell them the medication (back on double dose Protonic) was not helping. I was barely able to eat at all. They had to prescribe me a GI cocktail to numb my esophagus justo get any relief. I had suspicions it might be hormonal because it seemed like during my periods it would ease up or go away. It is Oct and my last period did seem longer (1 week) but that week was symptom free except for the day I made the mistake and ate some nuts but it was nothing like usual. My period ended on Sunday and I started feeling the symptoms coming back on Monday. Today is Friday I had to take the numbing cocktail yesterday but I havent eaten anything I wasnt supposed to. I am 46 yrs old, my last physical last yr they said i was in amazing health. I am not overweight, I exercise, eat healthy, dont smoke. I only drink in moderation(maybe glass of wine once in a while) but nothing since this started. I just want to be back to normal. I just feel this isnt going to heal until they get to the bottom of it and drs dont seem to take it seriously. I have been trying to research different things and I started taking probiotics on my on that seemed to help but it always seems to start back up. I just ordered the macafem today just in case it is hormonal to see if it might help. Im willing to try anything. .

Hi...I know how frustrating this can be...my question to u is did ur dr ever do a PH test to see if the meds corrected the acid issue....

PPI's turn off the acid making pumps, acid which we need to break down the foods we eat....

U need to see a GI dr and share ur concerns. Mayb  modifying ur diet and trying something like a probiotic may help....but see ur dr and have ur levels checked.

Make sure u do not have a hiatal hernia or something along those lines that may be a cause for ur discomfort.

Pregnancy can trigger reflux, not sure if it would continue with just a hormone imbalance tho.....

Have u been on antibiotics recently?
Are you taking any other meds?

Doubt this is a Hiatal Hernia because the Upper Endoscopy would have detected this.  

Has a galbladder issue been ruled out?  

It can't be 100% proven that there is a GERD/hormone connection, however this is a complaint from some women going through menopause.  
Gastro Tracker
Gastro
timothy141 Amassing and amazing, to se... Comment
Ball123 commented on The more intense you ...
May 22
caregiver222 uploaded new photos
May 20