GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Can my acid reflux problem cause heart palpitations
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Can my acid reflux problem cause heart palpitations

I!m a 50 year old perimenapausal women & recently have been experiencing problems that my GP thinks are caused by acid reflux. This initially presented as bouts of quite severe indigestion that I tried to treat with over the counter antacid tablets with no success. I then developed upper abdominal discomfort particularly after eating. My GP recommended trying ranitidine which didn't really help & I've now started to get a recurrent sore throat & a feeling of pressure around my breastbone area. 3 days ago I started to feel like I was having heart palpitations which became so intense that yesterday I had a full blown panic attack & called an ambulance. Apart from my very rapid pulse & hyperventilation all my other tests (ecg, blood pressure, blood oxygen etc) were fine resulting in the panic attack diagnosis. I have since done a lot of online research & found that there may be a link between stimulation of the vagus nerve from acid reflux resulting in heart palpitations. I have started a course of Omeprazole 2 days ago that a nurse friend has given me & suggested I take for a month to see if symptoms are relieved. I still have sore throat & a burning sensation in my tongue and mouth but the abdominal discomfort has subsided since avoiding spice and very acidic foods. I intend to see my GP again to discuss the heart palpitations & ensure the meds I have been given are OK for me. I would be interested to hear your opinion on the heart palpitations so that I can be armed with as much information as possible when I see my own GP.
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
620923_tn?1402936350

Hi...it is possible to also have low acid and have many of the same symptoms but u would feel worse with GERD meds....so, it might be in ur interest to go to a GI dr and have some testing to see which it is, and then find the root cause of ur reflux.

The Change itself can cause many things, and stress can as well....
Blank
Thanks Linda My GP confirmed my symptoms are all connected to the GERD While still v unpleasant at least I'm not feeling quite so anxious about the sensation!!
Blank
I've spoken to my GP & am trying a double dose of the Omeprazole for a couple of weeks If no improvement he'll refer me for a gastroscopy to have a look what's going on I've also developed a very sore throat & feel like I have a lump in my throat after eating which I believe are also symptoms connected to GERD Am hoping that this will improve as I don't relish the thought of the scope procedure!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Gastro Tracker
Gastro
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
Blank
JlilliR commented on had enough
9 hrs ago