GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Can sores in mouth be from GERD

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Can sores in mouth be from GERD

I have been dealing with GERD for a couple of years now and taking prescibed medication for it. However, I seem to still have problems from time to time.  Then about a year ago, I started getting a sensative mouth (inside cheeks) and also sores (canker sore type) in the back of my mouth between lower teeth and cheek area that wont completely heal and go away.  I've seen a Dentist and Oral Surgeon and both confirm it's not cancer but, can't say really tell me what is causing them.  Then last night I woke the GERD and it hit me that maybe it's that.  Can GERD cause mouth sores?
It probably can, but those two conditions can be caused by Celiac disease, so you might want to get tested for that.  
Hi there,

To have ENT symptoms from GERD, it has to be in a severe category and an ENT could do a Larynxscope to see if you have reflux damage to your vocal cords/larynx/pharynx and thus almost diagnose GERD.

To my knowledge cancer sores are caused by a Vit. C dificiency.
Thank you for your comment.  I went to an Oral Surgeon and having a biopsy done on the sores.  They said they don't appear to be cancer because they are on both sides and always on same place.  However, it sure stumped the Oral Surgeon because they don't look like normal stuff he has seen before.  I'm glad I'm getting the biopsy.  In meantime, going to see regular doctor and check other possabilities.  Thanks again!
I had a very severe case of GERD caused by an injury to the LES valve plus a long-standing issue with a Hiatel Hernia, and the problems were were noted immediately.  My vocal chords were burned to the point that speaking became very difficult, and in a matter of days, the enamel on my teeth eroded and started turning black (I was becoming a male Halloween Witch!).  I did not experience the sores like you are experiencing.  I suspect that acid reflux would impact your vocal chords as it did Smiley and me, and your teeth before causing your gums.  I'm assuming you have had a complete blood panel test, if not, I'd ask for one, and check vitamin D, K and other levels.  Keep us informed.

Vitamin D is something I was told was low on my last blood panel. If I'm reading the notes on what I need, the doctor suggested I start taking an Omega 3  4000/d which I think is the Vitamin D.  I'll go to a Vitamin store to get help on the best one to take.

Thanks again!
Avatar n tn
i was going to mention celiac disease when I read your post--but saw that Caryopteris beat me to it.   My twins were both on prevacid until after about a year of being gluten free--then they were able to go off of the medication.
Lichen can also cause sores in the mouth and even cause the skin inside the mouth to peel.  Whatever it is, I hope and pray that you get to the bottom of it and get some treatment.
Gastro Tracker
Gastro