Chiropractic Correction for Hiatal Hernia
Hi. I'm a 41 year old woman with a small hiatal hernia and long standing GERD. I've now developed esophagitis because of the GERD.

I'm not one to go with conventional medicine's treatments until I've tried more natural treatments first. I've read that some chiropractors know how to put the stomach back in place for people with hiatal hernias. Has anyone tried this and did it work?

I've discussed the Nissan Fundoplication procedure with my doctor. She said my hernia is small so she recommended I go with medication for the rest of my life instead. That's not very appealing because I know it's got to have side effects after a while. And the surgery is even more unappealing.

Thanks.
Personally, chiropractors are only good for some muscular-skeletal issues.  I saw two different ones at different points in time for a dislocated rib.  They both made thatt worse, but the first one did wonders for my sciatic nerve and TMJ.  I need to see him again for those two issues.  

I would be very skeptical about their ability to help a hiatal hernia.  Chiroprators manipulate joints.  A hiatal hernia is soft tissue and I wouldn't want one messing around there.

Some other option you may want to try - probiotics, digestive, enzymes, and carrot juice.  My compounding pharmacist also recommends taking acid to aid digestion.  The reasoning makes sense to me, but it is rather expensive.   Let me know if you would like more information on that.  I get a non-medicinal treatment for my asthma from him.

Take care, but do get that reflux under control.  It can lead to Barret's esophagus which is a pre-cancerous condition and then to cancer.
Hi...I will agree to a point, not all drs r able to help in all areas and not all chiro's will be able to help with the hiatal hernia...but, there r some out there that can.

I will also agree that u may want to have a PH test done to see if u indeed have too much acid...u can feel the same as too little acid.

And lastly, I will say that probiotics can be very beneficial especially if u were on antibiotics recently.

Diet, lifestyle and knowing for sure if u have too much or too little acid is key....and if it is just the position of the hernia causing issue...try to find a well trained chiro in this area.

Good luck and do keep us posted

"selma"
bsmsl offers good advice regarding chiropractors for this condition.  Have you had an endoscopy study?  I agree with selmaS, I'd also have a PH test to determine your level of acid in the mouth before throwing lots of money on any other treatment, particularly chiropractic care.  Frankly, that is a very long shot.  Also, for the short term, at least, I would suggest drug therapy to see if it helps. I'd also suggest a Motility Study to see how well food travels down the esophagus.  

I had the Nissen Fundoplication surgery about six weeks ago, and it was very successful.  I was one of those who foolishly decided to control the acid condition with 'natural' methods, and what a mistake.  In a month I'm going to have to have cancerous cells burned off because of Barrett's Esophagus, just something to think about.