GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Concerns

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Concerns

Hello All,

I want to apologize up front for the length of this post but I am hoping for help with some questions and maybe at the same time it may help someone else.

Background: 32 male, 40-50 pounds overweight.  Was told in April of 2010 that i suffer from anxiety disorder.  Diagnosed with GERD and a hiatal hernia in October of 2010.

I have been dealing with a multitude of symptoms since April of last year when I was told I suffer from anxiety disorder.  A lot of the symptoms have subsided but a few still remain.  I have been suffering from lots af acid reflux and what i can only describe as stomach/esophageal spasms.  I feel very bloated and almost out of breath when i eat.  I have chest pain and left arm pain.  I have had heart checked out and they tell me its fine.  I have read many posts and it seems lots of people who have GERD/hiatal hernias are suffering similar pains.  I guess my question is...does anyone else feel like there heart rate will increase, or if it feels like its beats harder, not necessarily faster after eating?  Also I feel like when i drink liquids i have to take small sips or i feel out of breath.  

List of questions:

1) Anyone feel like increased heart rate or heart beating stronger after eating?
2) Out of breath when eating?
3) Pain in chest, stomach, upper back/neck cause of GERD?hiatal hernia?
4) Esophageal spasms or trouble swallowing? Like something is stuck in throat?
5) Bloated and gassy after eating? Even for 3 to 4 hours after eting?
6) Feel like when they move around they are easily out of breath? Out of breath when talking?

I know some of these are heightened due to anxiety but it just seems like theres more.  I know my GI tract has always been an issue.  I was told at age 10 i had gastritis...i was a worrier even as a child hahaha.

Well i hope someone out there can ease my mind for me.  

God Bless

Hi...many of the symptoms u posted sound familiar, but to other conditions  that have hiatial herina's and GERD as a result......Have u ever been tested for P.O.T.S.?

POSTURAL TACHYCARDIA SYNDROME

POTS is a malfunction of the autonomic nervous system, which controls the body’s involuntary actions such as: heart rate, blood pressure, digestion, etc

What are the symptoms of POTS?

The main symptoms of POTS can include:

Chronic dizziness
Light headedness
Severe unrelenting fatigue
Migraine
Insomnia
Palpitations
Blurred vision
Weakness
However, some patients will also complain of:

Anxiety
Loss of concentration
Shortness of breath
Coldness of legs and fingers
Body temperature regulation issues
Hyperventilation or very fast breathing that can result in loss of blood pressure and fainting

"selma"
I'm a veteran of both GERD and also heart related issues.  I've got a pacemaker, had surgery to correct GERD, have eight heart stents, three heart attacks.  I can tell you, it's not easy to tell the difference between heart and GERD discomforts.
Here's what I've learned...
The disgestive process requires a good deal of energy, and eating tends to speed up the heart rate and increase blood pressure.  If one eats and drinks too much, it can fill the available space, creating problems for the lungs to find room to fill.  High fat foods causes the arteries to flair, including the heart arteries.  
Is it possible you are eating and drinking too much at meals?  The fact that you have a hiatel hernia suggests this is the reason you are feeling like you do, in my opinion.  Only a doctor can advice you, but I'd suggest going on a three day diet, limiting your calories to perhaps 1500 per day with low fat foods, and drinking water, only water, and not overloading your stomach.  See how you feel.
Stay in touch.