GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Constant Acid Taste

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Constant Acid Taste

Hi All,

For the the 3 months I have had a terrible acid/bitter taste in my mouth.  It is there all the time and NEVER goes, it came about 5 days after I finished a 4 days course of antibiotics.  I went to see a gastro specialist who did gastroscopy who diagnosed me with Grade A (mild) esophogitis and put on me Pariet 40mg a day.  it didn't help so after a week he changed it to Nexuim 80mg a day, I have been on that for 4 days now and there has been no change at all.  

Has anybody else ever had this?  What did you do?  It is really getting me down as I feel it will never end.  Does anybody have any advice at all?

Hi ...yup antibiotics can reek havoc on our digestive track....the problem with antibiotics is they kill all bacterias good and bad..and u need the good bacteria to help break down the acids...talk to ur drs about a pro biotic....there r several on the market...and u may want to have a PH test to see if ur issue really is too much acid and not the opposite...too little.

Even tho u r on meds u have to avoid certain foods and bevs...like carbonated sodas, spicy foods etc....elevate the head of ur bed until ur system calms down, do not give it nething that may aggravate it in this already weakened state.

Too many feel since I am taking meds, I can eat what ever I like....not so...do, be mindful of ur diet until u r feeling better...and a FYI, once u have this happen, u may have to be mindful of ur diet all the time....I am not saying never eat some of these things ever again, but choose to eat tomato sauce once a week, and no soda every night etc....simple things.

I pray u feel better soon, please keep us updated

"selma"
Thanks so much.  One Last question, I have been on 3 different PPI's in the last 2 months with no change in symptoms.  I was out on 80mg nexium 4 days ago, how long do you think until there may be some relief of symptoms?

Hi, it can take some time b4 u see results from a PPI.....3 diff ones in 2 months could be a reason...give them more time to be effective.

Also, do modify ur diet at the same time....meds alone can not be left to fix the problem, we have to take action and eat better too, and avoid the foods that trigger the reflux into a flare.

Try keeping a journal so u can see which foods r best to avoid...or eat on a minimal schedule....cut back on things like carbonated bevs like sodas.....elevate the head of ur bed.....for more tips check out the Health Pages -http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=236

"selma"
Gastro Tracker
Gastro
flipper336 "Life should be great rathe... Comment
Paxiled commented on GMO CORN
drifter0213 commented on Feels like life is ov...
Feb 09